View Single Post
Old 04-02-2009, 08:49 AM   #29
takeshi
BlackBerry Mensa

Model: 8310
Carrier: at&t

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulMdx View Post
Given RIM have just announced their results, which show an increase in userbase and a decrease in profits, some analysts may disagree with that.
I don't really agree either. Amateur analysts on discussion forums always love to post "X needs to Y in order to remain competitive with Z" and Y is always something that Z does. It doesn't matter which product is under discussion but people seem to think that the lemming business model is the only way to succeed. I guess their reasoning is that is Z is successful then copying them must mean success for any of the copycat businesses. I'd love to see their supporting evidence but anyone making this claim never manages to supply any...

How many "Blackberry killers" have come and gone over the years? I expect to see just as many, if not more "iPhone killers" to do the same (i.e. die by the side of the road). You can only saturate the marketplace so much with the same products. Product diversity is what gives consumers choice -- not product copycatting.

Consider the successful products that you can recall off the top of your head. What did they copy to make their product successful? Success probably came from offering something slightly different is my guess.

It's like the old saying "jack of all trades, master of none". Try to please everyone and your product won't have its own niche to distinguish itself from the rest. Why should anyone choose your product?

Last edited by takeshi; 04-02-2009 at 08:58 AM..
Offline   Reply With Quote