Old 01-03-2010, 10:01 AM   #235
jswills

Model: 9630
PIN: N/A
Carrier: Verizon
Default Late to the Party ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by at.rex View Post
... I don't understand why there is such a great difference between the readings. And, I want to thank you again for all your time and effort that you are putting into this problem.

T
Sorry if I haven't finished the thread yet, but, could the polling/sample interval be different between the 2 devices? I have used the Timex Bodylink products for a couple of years now and I believe that the GPS receiver polls at a fixed interval of 5 seconds. Not sure about the domain/range of polling available for GPSLogger, but I have mine now set to 5 seconds, just like the Timex. This seems to "smooth-out" the apparent variations in GPS data during path-recording, as compared to when I had it set at 1-second intervals, which made my straight paths look like a drunken, blind man had recorded it!

It just seems that, to make an apples-to-apples comparison in the data, this polling interval must be equal or constant between the two devices. I suspect that this is true for all screens, path, altitude, etc.

That's not a pick at GPSLogger as, after 30-40 miles of testing over 8-or-so runs, I find it to be as good as the Timex at recording my running routes. All the other features are cool, too.

Mathias, sind Sie Deutscher, oder? Irgendfalls, vielen Dank für dieses App'.

Any thoughts about the future? As a runner, I wonder about the ability to receive the data from my heart-monitor strap. I do know just enough about telecommunications to know that most of these straps currently transmit some sort of digital signal in the FM-band, but that different protocols are used, not just between manufacturers, but also with a single manufacturer's product line(s). However, should the day arrive when they transmit via Bluetooth, or some other standard, which I think could happen, then such data would be recordable via BB or other PDA/Smartphone.

I ask this because, as a runner who still pursues age-group competition and who coaches younger kids, the integration of the "movement" data, i.e. GPS, with the heart-rate data is a good thing. When I utilize all the Timex Bodylink devices, I can see this data in a somewhat integrated fashion, e.g. when I run faster and/or make a climb, my heart beat increases, too. The heart never lies, even if what it's saying is not always intelligible. Seeing these two separate but related sets of time-series data can sometimes help a runner, both in the short term and the long.

Well, 'nuf for now.

Thanks,
Steve in Memphis
Offline   Reply With Quote