View Single Post
Old 04-09-2006, 04:04 AM   #1
RxistKJ
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 7100T
Default RIM's Future...my rant

Please Login to Remove!

Unfortunately, IMHO, Blackberry is on the decline trying to decide if it is a software or hardware company. As much as I love their true "Push" email solution, the average WM5 user, with MSFP (client side AKU2), will not be able to distinguish between Microsoft's DirectPush solution and BES email functionality. However, the average CIO of an organization will clearly realize the ROI of Microsoft's solution, without the requirement of propietary software, to achieve virtually "real-time" email delivery.

By no means do I consider RIM out of the game and I am confident they have an "Ace up their sleeve"; but this "Ace", as I'm sure they understand, will require a shift in their business model. Sustaining 70% of their revenue from propietary hardware is unrealistic...if you think I'm way off base then consider how many OEM handhelds are being introduced in 2006 with BB Connect functionality. Furthermore, closely examine RIM's most recent earnings or, more importantly, their very public announcement about creating hardware that has more MMS functionality. Just my $.02 worth but I look forward to RIM redefining itself...and welcome your thoughts.