Old 03-05-2007, 11:07 PM   #23
rivviepop
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: 8320
PIN: n/a
Carrier: t-mobile

Quote:
Originally Posted by LinuxGeek
Sorry, but I had to pay good money for the Pearl and now I have to pay for a service to sync the stupid device??? All this because the folks at RIM are too lazy to get off their butts and do-the-right-thing? Yuck.
Yeah I thought long and hard about this one, long and hard. Basically it mattered enough to me to have good SyncML support that I went ahead and bought the client, there's no other real choice to maintain SyncML compliance. Because I tend to switch phones a lot I don't put a lot of money into any single one, knowing it might be a short-loved device in my arsenal. I really like this Pearl a lot though, it's impressed me - so I bit the bullet.

Treo and Windows Mobile devices don't have a builtin client either, you have to go buy it as well; only Nokia and Motorolas seem to come with proper SyncML right in the firmware. Samsung supposedly does too, but I can't confirm that. Like everything else in Big Business, each entity wants you to use their proprietary solution (ActiveSync, IntelliSync, BES, etc.) - props to Nokia for going the open standards route.