Closed Thread

Old 12-24-2011, 07:50 AM   #1
jjstewey

Model: 9650
PIN: N/A
Carrier: sprint
Unhappy Always looking for updates!!!

Please Login to Remove!

I have a 9650 bold. Starting about two months ago, my phone will LOOK for updates at random times inturrupting both calls and texting Multiple times a day. Recently it has gotten much worse.

I have tried:
security wipe
installed OS6
taken it to 3 different Sprint stores. - Im unsure what they tried.
4 different phone calls averaging 1 hour each to Sprint.

The best results I get is being told to upgrade the phone with a new contract but they wont guarantee the new phone wont have the same problems. ( why buy another phone when they cant get the 1st to work properly
4 different phone calls averaging 1 hour each to Sprint.
I dont have any extra apps installed and just use email and contacts.

Does anyone know how to fix this or at least turn off the automatic "update"
Old 12-24-2011, 08:27 AM   #2
Motorcycle Mama
BlackBerry Master

Model: 9930
Carrier: Verizon
Default Re: Always looking for updates!!!

What do mean by "LOOK for updates"? What exactly is happening on the device?
Old 12-24-2011, 10:53 AM   #3
jjstewey

Thank you for inquiring what i mean by looking for updates is the clock will appear on screen spin spin and spin for appox 2 min then a bar appears on bottom of screen looks as if loading somthing but nothing new avaible (already up to date) drains the battery EVERY time and if i have or can plug in will come back from home screen (sprint logo) The phone is only a approx(4) months old
Old 12-24-2011, 11:47 AM   #4
aiharkness
BlackBerry God

Model: BBPP
Carrier: T-Mobile USA

Are you actually getting a message, or just the clock icon and the loading bar?

Also, what amount of free memory do you have? Are you storing music and pictures in main memory?
Old 12-24-2011, 12:18 PM   #5
Dubdub
Appleinator

Model: App6+
PIN: Ask
Carrier: ATT & Verizon

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjstewey View Post
Thank you for inquiring what i mean by looking for updates is the clock will appear on screen spin spin and spin for appox 2 min then a bar appears on bottom of screen looks as if loading somthing but nothing new avaible (already up to date) drains the battery EVERY time and if i have or can plug in will come back from home screen (sprint logo) The phone is only a approx(4) months old
The spinning clock doesn't necessarily mean looking for updates. Sounds like you are low on memory as suggested by aiharkness.

-->>Stinsonddog's Tip Site!

-->>Twitter

If someone helps, tell them by clicking the Thanks button.!!
Old 12-24-2011, 01:55 PM   #6
tsac
BlackBerry God

Model: Z10
PIN: No Pin just a Tack
Carrier: at&t

I had that "spinning" clock on both my BB's. Low memory due to too many photos. At least on mine. I moved them to the SD card. Never realized i put them and some ring tones on the main memory. It never happened with 5.x OS but seem to be an issue with the upgrade to 6.x OS.
Old 12-24-2011, 02:52 PM   #7
jjstewey

Quote:
Originally Posted by aiharkness View Post
Are you actually getting a message, or just the clock icon and the loading bar?

Also, what amount of free memory do you have? Are you storing music and pictures in main memory?
Im getting just the clock and loading bar (no message) As far as memory i have more than 50% availble im storing all pics in my mini sd card never put music on it
Old 12-24-2011, 03:08 PM   #8
aiharkness
BlackBerry God

The spinning clock I can picture, but the loading/progress bar stumps me. Can you describe that further. What else do you see? Is it on top of whatever screen you have open at the time, a black screen, what? How long does it last? Is there any pattern to when it occurs?

I would guess the device is rebooting, but you would obviously know that....Right? Is that it? You see the spinning clock icon, then the screen becomes blank, and eventually you see the progress bar, followed by the carrier logo splash screen, and then the home screen?
Old 12-24-2011, 04:38 PM   #9
jjstewey

Thanks again for trying to help theres nothing out of the ordinary when this happens any time of day and happens during calls when i notice it happens the most.And as well as texting really the rest of the time I have it, it is charging on the counter and or in my holster where i cant see it.When the clock appears it is a blk screen and also when it shows the bar across the bottom is also blk screen.My battery could be fully charged but by the time its done its thing the phone is completly dead and must be charged be for i can see the phone sign back on.Think you are right by saying it must be turning back on when the data bar shows but dosent EVER have enough battery to completly turn back on.
Old 12-24-2011, 04:50 PM   #10
aiharkness
BlackBerry God

Without being there, I'm guessing the device is shutting down and rebooting. It also sounds like it could be because of a power problem.

If you have not dropped the device or got it wet, my suspicion is the battery is bad or worn out. If the battery is over a year old and you routinely run it all the way down before charging, or if the battery is over two years old, I would be even more inclined to suspect the battery.

If you can borrow a battery, that is what I would try first. If the problem goes away, the solution is to buy a new battery.

You might also wipe the device and reinstall the OS before spending money on a battery, if you can't borrow one to test first. If a clean OS doesn't solve the problem, then more evidence against the battery.

But, if you have dropped the BlackBerry, or exposed it liquid or moisture, then physical damage is possible.

If you rule out the battery and rule out software, then hardware is the answer.

Last edited by aiharkness; 12-24-2011 at 04:51 PM..
Old 12-24-2011, 04:50 PM   #11
Dubdub
Appleinator

Model: App6+
PIN: Ask
Carrier: ATT & Verizon

Do you let the battery get below 20% on a regular basis? You have a bad battery.

-->>Stinsonddog's Tip Site!

-->>Twitter

If someone helps, tell them by clicking the Thanks button.!!
Old 12-31-2011, 07:54 AM   #12
jjstewey

Talking Re: Always looking for updates!!!

[thank you for the info i went to the store and got a new battery and seemed to fix the problem . Its been a few days since and no more issues so far thanks again
QUOTE=aiharkness;1760699]Without being there, I'm guessing the device is shutting down and rebooting. It also sounds like it could be because of a power problem.

If you have not dropped the device or got it wet, my suspicion is the battery is bad or worn out. If the battery is over a year old and you routinely run it all the way down before charging, or if the battery is over two years old, I would be even more inclined to suspect the battery.

If you can borrow a battery, that is what I would try first. If the problem goes away, the solution is to buy a new battery.

You might also wipe the device and reinstall the OS before spending money on a battery, if you can't borrow one to test first. If a clean OS doesn't solve the problem, then more evidence against the battery.

But, if you have dropped the BlackBerry, or exposed it liquid or moisture, then physical damage is possible.

If you rule out the battery and rule out software, then hardware is the answer.[/QUOTE]
Old 12-31-2011, 07:57 AM   #13
jjstewey

Thanks for the great advice replacment battery did the trick !!!!
Closed Thread