BlackBerry Forums Support Community

Closed Thread

Old 03-23-2009, 12:39 PM   #1
captain_tinker

Model: 9700
PIN: N/A
Carrier: AT&T
Default Has Anyone Ever Seen or Used This BT Cassette Adapter?

Please Login to Remove!

Hey folks,
I have been looking for a good way to get tunes from my BB Curve 8300 to the car speakers. The best way I could think of to do it was to do it via BT, as I just don't want any wires, too much of a pain. Besides, when I plug a wired cassette adapter into my BB, sometimes, if I wiggle the wire a bit, it comes up with the voice dialing option and tries to get me to say a command. Not sure why it does that.

Anyway, I found this:

www dot thinkgeek dot com /gadgets/electronic/aad2/

(sorry, can't post url's yet)

and ordered it the other day, it hasn't come yet, but I just started thinking, wait a moment, how does this thing actually work? Does it come up like a BT earpeice? Because I know I cannot use the regular BB media player to play through the BT earpiece, or can I? If the device is A2DP I'm assuming maybe it comes up with a different profile or something? I've never used stereo bluetooth headphones with my curve yet, so I don't know how it works. Has anyone got any experience with this sort of thing that can give me some pointers? Hopefully I made the right purchase...

-capT
Old 03-24-2009, 05:46 PM   #2
captain_tinker

Model: 9700
PIN: N/A
Carrier: AT&T

Ok, well got the adapter today, not exactly what I was expecting, but as there is just not much good info on the web on this unit, or any other bluetooth cassette unit for that matter, the only way I could test it out was to buy it. It pairs with my BB with a handsfree headset profile, the same as if it was a bluetooth earpiece. I was hoping it would do it as A2DP, but it did not. I tested it out playing music using the Mobiola X Player as it was the only way I could get any audio to stream to the bluetooth, and it sounded awful, muddy, and muffled. And if the phone moved very far out of sight of the unit, it crackled and popped a lot!

I then tried calling my phone while it was attached, and found that it had a little microphone on the end of it, and it actually sounded ok as a speakerphone. The person on the other end heard an echo of themselves unfortunately, but they could hear the person(s) speaking to them ok. So, not quite sure what to think. I like the idea of keeping it for speakerphone duties, but it doesn't do the music like I was expecting, which is what I bought it for to begin with. Not sure if I want to keep it or send it back. It would cost me shipping, and a restocking fee to send it back, almost half of what it cost me to get it in the first place, so maybe it's not a good idea to send it back. I'll have to think about it, unless someone else wants it? Let me know and I'll think about it.

-capT
Closed Thread