BlackBerry Forums Support Community

Closed Thread

Old 08-11-2005, 02:53 PM   #1
tominator
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 7750
Default Blackberry 7750 CDMA Device (Not a Happy Camper)

Please Login to Remove!

Blackberry 7750 CDMA Device

I purchased this 7750 from Bell Mobility last June (04) since then the unit has been swapped out twice due to failures of the display and phone. I have never in my life seen such a device that could get me so frustrated as this one. I hoped RIM would help analyze my unit to see what has happened but they intern redirected my concern to Bell. (Bell tried there best to satisfy my request) And given their current stock price apparently are only concerned at the current condition of their company and not future sales?

What I can't believe is how problematic this device has been and now I'm stuck with a (Still problematic screen) expensive and(Paid 650.00 CDN) slow, only displaying 3/4 of the time Blueberry. In the past 4 weeks, 3 other people have had hardware issues and have been disappointed with their repair options. It's sad how quick someone is to sell you a device, but once there are issues they walk away.

Can anyone offer any options on?

1. Having the unit repaired (Properly instead of a refurbished device not at my cost because it never worked proper from the first time) or
2. Swap out my device for a 7700 series (everyone is ranting about although I’m not convinced)

Bell said I am not eligible for an upgrade (Only every 24 month from 18 ) and short of paying my 199.00 contract termination, I cannot purchase the newer device for 249.00 as advertised as this program is for new activation ONLY ;-(

Telus has a PocketPC Phone edition that looks quite nice! And includes pocket Word, Excel and Outlook. Oh and Voice Dial!

BTW: I purchased a Krusell Case and have never dropped or damaged my device in anyway. Which could result in the other individuals who had damaged units.

And last month when I spoke with Technical Support, they suggested that I update my device to V4.0 OS. Now the device hangs each time I try to look up a contact or even scroll through the menus? What’s with the hour glass displaying all the time. Even if I remove the battery it takes 10 minutes to boot the device. Hope I never get into an emergency situation where I might have to call 911 because the individual would be dead by the time the phone boots.

Thanks in Advance
Tomas

Last edited by tominator; 08-12-2005 at 12:10 AM..
Old 08-15-2005, 03:50 PM   #2
tominator

Wow...no one else has had issues? Don't all respond at once!

Tomas
Old 08-15-2005, 03:54 PM   #3
udontknowjack
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 9000
Carrier: T-Mobile

The 7750 is probably one of the worst devices out right now. If I would you, I would screem and demand a 7250 since you have multiple device problems. The 7250 is a much faster device, (won't see the hour glass as much) and doesn't seem to have the problems of the 7750.
Old 08-15-2005, 11:59 PM   #4
tominator

Thanks for the tip...I'm going to pull a few strings in Waterloo and see what I can do. The 7250 (From what I've seen) seems to be a much improved device!

Cheers
Tomas
Old 08-16-2005, 05:30 PM   #5
Mark Rejhon
Retired BBF Moderator

Model: Bold
Carrier: Rogers

Quote:
Originally Posted by tominator
Thanks for the tip...I'm going to pull a few strings in Waterloo and see what I can do. The 7250 (From what I've seen) seems to be a much improved device!

Cheers
Tomas
Fight, b*tch, moan, complain, bribe, pay the penalty, escape the contract, and leap on a 7250...

Another way is to see if you can find a used 7250 somewhere and slip it into your existing contract (i.e. you keep paying the same fee). It might be cheaper than the $199 + $249 total you'll end up having to do. On the other hand, I hear some deals about free 7250's if you sign yourself into a 3 year contract. Could be risky but with a 30-day money back, this may be tolerable...

The 7750 is often considered by many to be the worst BlackBerry model ever released. Even many within RIM wished that model never came out.
www.xmpp.org/extensions/xep-0301.html - specification
www.realjabber.org - open source

Last edited by Mark Rejhon; 08-16-2005 at 05:33 PM..
Old 08-18-2005, 08:37 AM   #6
tominator

Thanks for the response Mark. I called Bell again yesterday and they said under no way could they swap out the unit. However, the representative gave me a "Fax Number" to the "Executive Complaints Department" and suggested I send them a detailed description/history of my problems. I will do this tomorrow and see what happens. My manager also has a 7750 with the same latency and screen color fading out issues. I wrote a 18 page technology report and business case why these devices would improve productivity (And they have) but now feel somewhat responsible as 5 out of the 10 are seeing issues with this model

Great Board! Thanks for the comments/ assistance!

Tomas
Old 09-07-2005, 12:53 PM   #7
tominator

Default Executive Complaints Department

Well, two weeks ago today I sent (faxed) my letter to Bell. Still no response, not even a telephone call. Apparently they are more interested in signing new customers and not keeping their older customers on board. (I've been with Bell Mobility since 1985!

Even if they said no....I would accept the fact that someone would acknowledge the fact that the 7700 unit is problematic. Since I need to replace the unit, I'm only looking for assistance since I can’t afford another 600.00 to purchase a new 7200 series device. Today I lost the screen yet again....and have troubles answering calls because of the hour glass that comes up all the time. I bought a Fido phone and carry a spare since this one isn't a reliable phone anymore since I cant see the screen 1/2 the time.

Thanks for everyone’s help. I did remove some of the programs and rebooted the device. It seemed to help a bit, but hasn’t resolved the latency issues.

Cheers
Tomas

Wish my was working
Old 09-19-2005, 11:13 AM   #8
tominator

Update Sept 16th 2005:

After playing telephone tag with Bell Mobility’s Executive Complaints Department, we finally connected. (It's hard to answer my Blackberry when the screen fades out all the time) and unfortunately I have nothing good to say as a result of the conversation.

Bell would not acknowledge that the 7700 had exhibited any issues while they tested the device. They did mention it is being phased out and the 7200 is the new replacement unit. As recommended by other members of this board I requested some sort of replacement of my defective unit (s) and all the advisor could offer me was an upgrade at 19 months instead of the new 24 month policy. Better than nothing I guess. Now all I can do is resign this Blueberry until January when I can purchase a new unit to replace this anchor.

Shame on your RIM!

Just a FYI guys....do your homework, and this board has been a great asset in assisting others.

Take Care
Tomas
Old 09-19-2005, 11:18 AM   #9
stonent
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: 8220
PIN: FFFFFFFF

I wonder why the 7750 was always so slow? I mean it was out around the same time as the GPRS phones. Did Qualcomm take some shortcuts and offload the CDMA processing to the ARM cpu in the phone? Or did maybe RIM put a lower speed CPU in the phone to cut costs because of a high price for a CDMA chipset?

I wonder if anyone at RIM would ever unofficially answer that?

Prior: BES: 7510, 7520, 7290, 7230, 7130, 8220 (No Data Plan), Droid Eris
Post your question on the forum, don't PM me.
Old 09-20-2005, 07:02 AM   #10
corey@12mile

Model: lots

Actually, it's kinda like this... in order to run CDMA, you have to run all qualcomm chips... processor and all. If it's slow, it's all about qualcomm.

I can sympathize a little bit with the hassle that tominator is going through, but at the same time I say it sucks for you. Yes, you should have researched a little bit. Buying a CDMA based device is definately the wrong way to go. I have said that many times over. Don't blame RIM, blame Bell. RIM makes solid devices, on the GSM side at least. I own 4 different blackberry's right now and none of them have ever given me much of an issue other than a worn out clicky spring on the 6280. You should be blaming Bell, they sold you the device(s) and they won't help you out. Obviously there are strange cases with devices malfunctioning, but this is your third device... hmmm... I don't know who you are or what you do, but to go through 3 devices in a year and a half makes me wonder if you hang the phone out the window in the car wash or something, but I really don't know.

I also love how you suggest at first RIM is only concerned about their 'current condition' as opposed to future sales, and then later on when you are pissed at Bell, they are only concerned about their new activations as opposed to current customers. Is this your little hissy fit, why don't you just say nobody is concerned about you as much as they are concerned about everybody else in the world.

I think you are a wanna be techie business person and you probably don't know how to deal with the situation. I know everytime I have an issue it gets resolved fairly quickly and fairly easily.

cd.
Old 09-20-2005, 01:30 PM   #11
Mark Rejhon
Retired BBF Moderator

Model: Bold

Quote:
Originally Posted by stonent
Did Qualcomm take some shortcuts and offload the CDMA processing to the ARM cpu in the phone?
This is what happened. More RIM than Qualcomm, but there is blame from both of them.

The 7250 solves this by putting all the CDMA stuff in more dedicated processing, leaving plenty of processing left over for everything, the 7250 eliminates the lags you see on 7750 units.
www.xmpp.org/extensions/xep-0301.html - specification
www.realjabber.org - open source
Old 10-08-2005, 11:52 PM   #12
kable133
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 7290
Carrier: Rogers Wireless/Canada

I agree corey@12mile..

I love my GSM Blackberry, not a single complaint. Sure, over the years I have had several issues with Rogers Wireless, but if you try to be friendly, and reach the right person/department, they will usually help you out.

I have also doubt with Bell Canada (with Sympatico) and I have to say that there service has really improved over the years.
Old 10-13-2005, 03:00 PM   #13
spidersilk

Unhappy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Rejhon
The 7750 is often considered by many to be the worst BlackBerry model ever released. Even many within RIM wished that model never came out.
Eek! I just bought a used 7750 on eBay! No problems with it yet, other than that the cradle it came with doesn't seem to have a USB cable (which I'm going to ask about elsewhere), but this is not very encouraging to read. :(

Oh well, at least I got a good price on it. Guess now I know why.
Old 10-13-2005, 03:12 PM   #14
stonent

Is.......it.......slooooooooow?

Old 10-13-2005, 06:10 PM   #15
roofus

Model: PassP
Carrier: Bell

Quote:
Originally Posted by spidersilk
Eek! I just bought a used 7750 on eBay! No problems with it yet, other than that the cradle it came with doesn't seem to have a USB cable (which I'm going to ask about elsewhere), but this is not very encouraging to read. :(

Oh well, at least I got a good price on it. Guess now I know why.
I used to have a 7750 before I got my 7250. It is slow, but actually I preferred the larger screen andlarger keyboard plus the larger form factor fit my hand better.

It's speed is too slow for surfing but for general use, unless you're Mavis Beacon, it will do just fine.
Old 10-21-2005, 07:45 AM   #16
tominator

corey@12mile..

"you should have researched a little bit. Buying a CDMA based device is definitely the wrong way to go." The radio technology is not in question here….

GSM in Toronto sucks....we can break out into a war discussing the pros and cons of each network type but at the end of the day it’s still the device. But unless you consider FIDO, not many "Good" options in Ontario. Rogers has been upgrading their networks and it is getting better. But I still prefer Bell. Also this was a company direction (To Choose Bell) as we had no choice in the matter anyway.

"RIM makes solid devices, on the GSM side at least." As I said before....if you compare the Treo devices or the PPC devices manufactured by HTC, they are far more reliable. 7 other people in our office had the same issues with scroll button and flickering/ 4 bit color screens. I have never, dropped my device, thrown it out of a window (But considered it many times) and it's never been wet. Although it may be useful as a shoe horn for hiking boots.

“I also love how you suggest at first RIM is only concerned about their 'current condition' as opposed to future sales, and then later on when you are pissed at Bell, they are only concerned about their new activations as opposed to current customers.” Rims crappy shares are a good indication on how pissed off investors are getting with their company. I know a few people that work for Rim and they are not happy with the direction. Don't get me wrong, one of the reasons I supported purchasing 15 of these units was that they where Canadian made....big mistake. The same individual said the BIGGEST mistake Rim ever made was releasing the 7700. Other than the Monochrome screen version…there were NO other models available back then, what options are you talking about? The 7200 was still being tested….It’s pretty hard to buy something that wasn't released yet.

"wanna be techie business person and you probably don't know how to deal with the situation." I know every time I have an issue it gets resolved fairly quickly and fairly easily. Good for you....you must be a woman trapped in a mans body and know how to ***** better than I . I was only trying to get a point across...Bell finally admitted to the fault and offered an early upgrade. You didn’t get the point.....

Anyway, I bought a Pocket PC Phone again, my wife can use the BB as a phone and email device because that’s what it does the best!

Thanks for the feedback…and Kudos to the board members that offered positive feedback. We all have an objective here: to network with individuals who share the same passion for mobile devices and have a freedom of speech. Whether it’s positive or negative.

Cheers
Tomas

Last edited by tominator; 10-21-2005 at 07:47 AM..
Old 10-21-2005, 09:24 AM   #17
corey@12mile

Model: lots

You know what... I know lots of people at RIM and they are all glowing, business has never been better for them, the new products are causing a good stir... MDS Studio is going to open up so many doors for companies to build intranet apps for the handhelds... The direction RIM is going is straight up. The have good products, always improving, and have a boatload of cash in the bank.

You apparently don't play the stock market too much, cause the current prices aren't that great of a reflection on the condition of a company. Wait until someone with more than 1000 shares of a company makes a move, then you get a true understanding of the value of the company.

I think with an 850mhz GSM blackberry, you will get better coverage and quality of signal in toronto then you will with cdma.

I'm glad you got a Pocket PC... one day I will give one of them a go... who knows where Exchange SP2 and Windows mobile will go...

oh... and the woman in a man's body thing... haha no... it's just that I understand how to be firm and objective with people I am dealing with. I respect the people I deal with, they respect me. I know how to put up a good argument for anything I need. I think ahead of time to the things they are going to want from me, for me to do, and ask me. I have everything I need prepared to leave them with no choice but what I am asking for. It's a simple as that... I have been doing this stuff for a long time and the people I deal with quickly learn that and don't argue with me.

cd.

Last edited by corey@12mile; 10-21-2005 at 09:27 AM..
Old 11-16-2005, 07:29 PM   #18
wilbret

Model: 9530
Carrier: Verizon
Default corey12mile IS nick the company computer guy

Wow, just wow. I'm glad I don't have to deal with you in my company.

MOVE OVER! Ctrl alt del fcn y.

I can just see it now!

Glad you got your problem solved Tominator.

I actually prefer the 7750 over the 7250, because of the larger screen. I just use it for its intent... email, addresses, calendaring and phone. No speed problems. Our company issues 7250s, and it sucks to read emails... page fold. Page fold. Page fold.

Old 12-02-2005, 01:17 AM   #19
tominator

News flash! http://www.itworldcanada.com/Pages/D...-4ec9&s=327948

Guess RIM will be the next XMRadio for our American market brethren if this goes through, watch your shares?

So sad.....

Thanks for everyone's assistance! Yes even Corey
Old 12-02-2005, 05:06 PM   #20
stonent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Rejhon
This is what happened. More RIM than Qualcomm, but there is blame from both of them.

The 7250 solves this by putting all the CDMA stuff in more dedicated processing, leaving plenty of processing left over for everything, the 7250 eliminates the lags you see on 7750 units.
I don't know if I mentioned it before but doing some lookups of part numbers in the phone I found out that Qualcomm has some of their CDMA chipsets include an embedded ARM processor. I think that's what happened in the case of the 7750. Qualcomm played "lets make a deal" with RIM.

Closed Thread