Closed Thread

Old 09-28-2007, 12:55 PM   #21
ezrunner
EPIC MOD

Model: ZED10
PIN: INK STICK
Carrier: Tmobile

Please Login to Remove!

Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry8700/4.2.1 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/100)

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulbblc
I would have punched him in the ear.
Don't think that my Marine training didn't want to be unleashed!
Old 09-28-2007, 12:58 PM   #22
ezrunner
EPIC MOD

Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry8700/4.2.1 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/100)

Quote:
Originally Posted by aiharkness
Wirelessly posted (8700g: BlackBerry8700/4.2.1 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/100)

Hope that customer is the rare one for you, ez. I see that behavior once in a while in hotels, airports, etc......Just being a bystander, I want to walk over and tell them to get control of themselves.
Definitely rare.
Old 09-28-2007, 01:14 PM   #23
aiharkness
BlackBerry God

Model: BBPP
Carrier: T-Mobile USA

Wirelessly posted (8700g: BlackBerry8700/4.2.1 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/100)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ezrunner

Quote:
Originally Posted by aiharkness

Hope that customer is the rare one for you, ez. I see that behavior once in a while in hotels, airports, etc......Just being a bystander, I want to walk over and tell them to get control of themselves.
Definitely rare.
In that case, I like Lunk's methods. My problem though is I don't think fast enough.
Old 09-28-2007, 01:20 PM   #24
ezrunner
EPIC MOD

It amazes me what people will do and think they can get away with it. I put a note on his account so any rep who deals with him will see what happened and be prepared. To many incidents and ATT will cut his service and file papers and BAN him from ALL ATT properties.
Old 09-28-2007, 01:21 PM   #25
ezrunner
EPIC MOD

Quote:
Originally Posted by aiharkness View Post

In that case, I like Lunk's methods. My problem though is I don't think fast enough.

Lunks method was absolutely priceless!!!
Old 09-28-2007, 01:42 PM   #26
aiharkness
BlackBerry God

I don't believe it is a matter of people thinking of what they can and can't get away with..... People like that can't deal with frustration and can't control themselves, and frankly, they do get away with it. I know we all have our stories, but my most recent is from when my late night flight home one time was diverted to land at a different airport, and we were to be bused home from there. This guy lays into a lady clerk who was there on overtime to help us and had nothing to do with what happened. I wish she had blasted him with pepper spray or something, but she was sweet and apologetic while this guy is flipping out and making demands and threats...... I don't envy you, ez, and all others who deal with the public.
Old 09-28-2007, 01:56 PM   #27
ezrunner
EPIC MOD

Fortunately it doesn't happen often most people are gracious and polite.

Normally I will try to over due the pleasantness and kill them with kindness.

But this guy looked me right in the eye and said "F%^& YOU" that just gets to me.
Old 09-28-2007, 01:59 PM   #28
rjw3000
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: Charm
Carrier: T-Mobile

I saw some a-hole at the T-Mo store when I was getting my new BB who wanted the upgrade price without getting a new line and the customer service guy says the manager will have to do the credit for him and they are not here right now, but I will put it in the system and they will give you the credit as soon as they get back.

So even though the guy is getting the new line price without a new line, it wasn't good enough for this guy, the jagoff sat there and kept going "this is ridiculous you can't do it" "this is bullsh*t" and so on for about 5 minutes, just berating the rep helping him.

The guy looked like a toolbag anyway, so no surprise actually.
Old 09-28-2007, 01:59 PM   #29
rivviepop

Model: 8320
PIN: n/a
Carrier: t-mobile

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanuckBB View Post
Would that be of the 'One day, and that day may never come, I 'll need a favour from you...' type of favour?
I'm one of those people who's been doing voices since I was a little kid (I think it started with imitating Deputy Dog and Sylvester from cartoons) - I have a great Brando voice that can pull off that line, I get to use it once in awhile...
Old 09-28-2007, 02:09 PM   #30
rivviepop

Quote:
Originally Posted by juwaack68 View Post
I totally agree. I work in IT, too, and while I am friendly with everyone, I am much more likely to 'go the extra mile' for someone who is friendly than someone who is a jerk or unappreciative.
JW, I thought this out while taking a shower - there are three classes of user in my world and how I treat them:

clueless apologetic - these are the folks who need something fixed, are generally technologically un-educated, but are super nice. When I sit down to fix something I usually make small talk while fixing things with them that has nothing to do with computers... "did you know slugs have four noses? no really, they do". This user is more likely to bake you cookies, stand up for you at meetings, and be willing to share jokes.

educated nerd - these are the more technical folks who realize that it's not your fault, they did something and stuff broke. When I sit down to fix something, I usually strike up a conversation about something techie that's cool... "hey, did you see those new PayPal security fobs you can get for $5? yeah, it's a RNG and everything". This user is likely to extoll your virtues during reviews and be on your side in a technical argument.

antagonistic crank - these are the ones you try and avoid, they feel everything that breaks is your fault, want a fix now, and basically start to whine about every other subject they think is wrong that has nothing to do with what you're fixing.

When I sit down to fix the antagonist crank's problem, I usually start the chit-chat with something like... "hey, did you know the 44 Magnum cartridge has 750 to 1000 ft/lbs of force at the end of a 4" muzzle? funny how you never notice that much power at the range..."

Old 09-28-2007, 02:16 PM   #31
juwaack68
iPhone Convert

Model: iP5
PIN: to beans
Carrier: I'm not

Quote:
Originally Posted by rivviepop View Post
JW, I thought this out while taking a shower - there are three classes of user in my world and how I treat them:

clueless apologetic - these are the folks who need something fixed, are generally technologically un-educated, but are super nice. When I sit down to fix something I usually make small talk while fixing things with them that has nothing to do with computers... "did you know slugs have four noses? no really, they do". This user is more likely to bake you cookies, stand up for you at meetings, and be willing to share jokes.

educated nerd - these are the more technical folks who realize that it's not your fault, they did something and stuff broke. When I sit down to fix something, I usually strike up a conversation about something techie that's cool... "hey, did you see those new PayPal security fobs you can get for $5? yeah, it's a RNG and everything". This user is likely to extoll your virtues during reviews and be on your side in a technical argument.

antagonistic crank - these are the ones you try and avoid, they feel everything that breaks is your fault, want a fix now, and basically start to whine about every other subject they think is wrong that has nothing to do with what you're fixing.

When I sit down to fix the antagonist crank's problem, I usually start the chit-chat with something like... "hey, did you know the 44 Magnum cartridge has 750 to 1000 ft/lbs of force at the end of a 4" muzzle? funny how you never notice that much power at the range..."

Those are dead on the money, rivvie! I have one more, though, that is very close to the first one:

Arrogant Know Nothing - these are the people who come to you after they've broken something and 'tried everything' to fix it, then blame you because the technology is not idiot-proof enough to save them from themselves. I tend to be merely civil with these people while they spout off and cut out the chit chat. I don't care to hear why the holster for their Blackberry was designed in a conspiracy created by RIM to force us to purchase more devices since the device keeps falling out of the holster and breaking.

Yes, I actually had someone send me an email telling me that. Shift-Delete in Exchange is a wonderful thing.
Old 09-28-2007, 02:32 PM   #32
rjw3000

I've noticed as I get older I don't put up with people's crap when they come to me needing a problem fixed, especially co-workers. Arrogant Know Nothing usually gets an idea pretty quick I'm not a big fan of their ranting BS and I am pretty good at making them feel stupid without actually doing anything to where they could complain to someone about it. Antagonistic Crank finds that out pretty quickly as well. Clueless Apologetic I am nice to, but after awhile I really get to dislike that person a lot, though I never show them.

As you can see, I am a people person, haha.

I do like dealing with educated nerd or "follows the directions you give them to the letter" guy/girl, they are always a pleasure to deal with.
Old 09-28-2007, 02:47 PM   #33
rivviepop

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjw3000 View Post
I do like dealing with educated nerd or "follows the directions you give them to the letter" guy/girl, they are always a pleasure to deal with.
...they also love to beta test stuff and be guinea pigs. These folks are like your own little tech commando team...you tell 'em what to do, they rock it to the letter.
Old 09-28-2007, 03:01 PM   #34
rjw3000

Quote:
...they also love to beta test stuff and be guinea pigs. These folks are like your own little tech commando team...you tell 'em what to do, they rock it to the letter.
then there is the opposite of these guys, and that is the sales staff
Old 09-28-2007, 04:30 PM   #35
TBOLTRAM
BlackBerry Genius

Model: 5S
PIN: & Teller
Carrier: Verizon

Intelligence and stupidity seems to be spread out rather evenly among the human race. I understand ezrunners problem with a customer that should first gone to an anger management class but I also have dealt with some salestypes pushing electrical/electronic equipment that should have stayed in the shoe business. It works both ways.

I do think that ezrunner did well by not expressing his anger on the customers face but by releasing here in a non-physical manner.

I also think that Lunkhead would have been a big hit on Carson. I have to remember the "Dad" line, it is priceless.
Old 09-28-2007, 04:39 PM   #36
aiharkness
BlackBerry God

TBOLTRAM, you forgot to add, "Not that there's anything wrong with selling shoes."...... Just watching your back.
Old 09-28-2007, 04:49 PM   #37
LunkHead
BlackBerry God

Model: 850
PIN: kie swear
Carrier: USPS Priority

Quote:
Ooooooo, raises hand in the air and waives it wildly!!

I wanna be a guinea pig! Please!?!?!?!?!
Old 09-28-2007, 05:28 PM   #38
ndub33
Stuck In The '70's Mod

Model: 9810

...in my organization, we call these folks "Vice Presidents".
Old 09-28-2007, 07:39 PM   #39
rivviepop

Quote:
Originally Posted by LunkHead View Post
Ooooooo, raises hand in the air and waives it wildly!!
I wanna be a guinea pig! Please!?!?!?!?!
Right now my current beta is a caching proxy server, only works/good if you're sitting on the network. Next beta that is offsite friendly I'll keep you in mind! But first I have to ask.... how are your chocolate chip cookie baking skills?
Old 09-28-2007, 09:03 PM   #40
LunkHead
BlackBerry God

Model: 850
PIN: kie swear
Carrier: USPS Priority

Quote:
Next beta that is offsite friendly I'll keep you in mind! But first I have to ask.... how are your chocolate chip cookie baking skills?
I wanna be on the *tech commando team* you dork, not the *easy bake team*
Closed Thread