BlackBerry Forums Support Community

Closed Thread

Old 07-17-2009, 03:14 PM   #21
rambo47
Latino Hasta La Muerte

Model: 9370
Carrier: Verizon

Please Login to Remove!

With a monthly discount that EVERYONE can get, I'm paying about $60/month for 450 minutes talk, unlimited data, unlimited SMS/MMS. And with Sprint, if you leave Sprint coverage you roam for free onto Verizon. When I was with AT&T I was paying about $100/month for the same services and no option to roam onto another network.

If coverage is the same in your area, Sprint is a no-brainer. But coverage is the key. Bargain prices coupled with crappy network coverage is no bargain at all.
Old 07-17-2009, 03:34 PM   #22
sean76
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 9700
Carrier: AT&T, VZW

Quote:
Originally Posted by rambo47 View Post
With a monthly discount that EVERYONE can get, I'm paying about $60/month for 450 minutes talk, unlimited data, unlimited SMS/MMS. And with Sprint, if you leave Sprint coverage you roam for free onto Verizon. When I was with AT&T I was paying about $100/month for the same services and no option to roam onto another network.

If coverage is the same in your area, Sprint is a no-brainer. But coverage is the key. Bargain prices coupled with crappy network coverage is no bargain at all.

Yes, I agree 100%! Service for me is key, going to check into it!
Old 07-17-2009, 06:16 PM   #23
mastdog
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: ----
PIN: Go Steelers!
Carrier: AT&T

Quote:
Originally Posted by rambo47 View Post

Yes that is why I made the move (that and customer service issues) I was paying 325 a month for 4 of us and on Sprint I am at 175. Can't argure that. In town I have not seen any change, phone works same places that VZW did because when Sprint is not there, we roam on vzw anyway, so all if good. At home I have to get a signal booster called the airave, that will push my house up to 5 bars for all phones, so we should be good.

I think Rambo's issue was resolved, and I think that any new bb device has some drama somewhere with it, but that is just what I have noticed.
Old 07-17-2009, 06:26 PM   #24
sean76
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 9700
Carrier: AT&T, VZW

Rambo, is the chrome around the phone black chrome like the vzw model, or is regular chrome?
Old 07-17-2009, 07:34 PM   #25
IrishGrl7

Model: 833-
PIN: N/A
Carrier: Sprint
Default Sprint question

I am with Sprint and wondering what the difference is between the 8330 and the Tour? Any feed back would be greatly appreciated! It sounds like everyone here is loving their Blackberries. I just wonder if the extra monthly cost is worth it? Thanks in advance for any advice you can offer.
Old 07-17-2009, 08:03 PM   #26
pegb856
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 8330
PIN: Head

The Tour is a slightly larger device, it has a 3.2MP camera the curve has a 2.MP, the Tour has a faster processor and more onboard memory. Also the Tour is running a newer OS (the same as the Storm w/o touch screen), It's considered to be a cross between the Bold and the 8900. Most importantly to some is that it is an upgrade to the older 8830, it has world roaming capabilities which means that it will work on CDMA here in the US and GSM networks abroad.

I may have missed something but these are the basic differences.

Happy Berrying!

Last edited by pegb856; 07-17-2009 at 08:04 PM..
Old 07-17-2009, 08:06 PM   #27
pegb856

Model: 8330
PIN: Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by sean76 View Post
Rambo, is the chrome around the phone black chrome like the vzw model, or is regular chrome?
The bezel on the Sprint Tour is chrome in color and not Titanium like the Verizon Model.

Happy Berrying!
Old 07-17-2009, 09:22 PM   #28
vinniemac3
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 9630
Carrier: sprint

just to add my 2 cents for what its worth. i believe the problems with the sprint phone are minimal as myself and rambo had the same issue and was quickly resolved. i think they initially had a bit of a hard time because the phone was brand new. luckily (knock on wood) i haven't had any other problems with it other then the activation. no lag, the speaker is clear, it runs pretty smooth. on the customer service end of it, sprint has been very good to me, i've had them for about 10 yrs now and whenever i had a problem they had no problem correcting it. my brother on the other hand has verizon and he constantly gets messed up bills and is constantly arguing with customer service and now he is going to switch to sprint. on seeing other people mention that verizon may have better service maybe it's area specific? just a thought or maybe it's just the luck of the draw when ya call. anyway lovin the tour
Old 07-17-2009, 11:31 PM   #29
rambo47
Latino Hasta La Muerte

This is the first BlackBerry I've ever had trouble with, and since sorting out the activation with a factory wipe/reset, it's been perfect for me. I've had none of the issues others have complained about, my battery life is great, and I'm totally loving it. Curve size with a Bold-style keypad - awesome!
Old 07-18-2009, 10:07 AM   #30
djdonnyk

Model: 9850
PIN: 32FDED**
Carrier: Sprint/Now Network

I ordered first thing Monday morning and mine arrived on Tuesday, I called BB support right away to activate rather than chancing doing it online. My activation went thru perfect with no issues, tried tethering with laptop and i love the REV A speeds compared to my 8130, now I just have to get use to the full keyboard. Video is still grainy but what can you expect from a mobile device. I am loving it so far!!
Old 07-18-2009, 02:06 PM   #31
southwestcomm
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: Many

Best way to compare devices:

BlackBerry - Compare BlackBerry Smartphones and PDAs at BlackBerry.com
Old 07-19-2009, 10:27 AM   #32
Memphisboi55

Getting mines next week or whenever Best Buy gets them in-stores w/ none of that mail in rebate crap, hopefully it doesn't have these problems.

1st post!
Old 07-19-2009, 10:34 AM   #33
rambo47
Latino Hasta La Muerte

Quote:
Originally Posted by Memphisboi55 View Post
Getting mines next week or whenever Best Buy gets them in-stores w/ none of that mail in rebate crap, hopefully it doesn't have these problems.

1st post!
Honestly, it's the vast MINORITY of devices that fail on initial provisioning. And now that we know the fix, it's far less of a hassle than it was when a few of us were poking around searching for the answer.

Worst case scenario is now you call tech support (1-877-654-9111) and ask them so walk you through a factory wipe/reset. Make sure you can activate normally before before transferring all your contacts/calendar stuff because it gets wiped by this solution. Once you start this wipe/reset it only takes about 5 or 10 minutes, then provisioning takes place normally. Boom. You're up and running. The good news is that once you take this step your BlackBerry Tour will be perfectly normal, with no issues because of it.
Old 07-20-2009, 10:36 AM   #34
vinniemac3

Carrier: sprint

yeah it worked great for me, the only thing im having an issue with is reception. can never win lol
Old 07-20-2009, 01:50 PM   #35
9duc
Thumbs Must Hurt

Just got my 9630 yesterday, and ran into the activation problem- voice was fine but no data. I saw this thread and was about to call tech support and do a wipe/reset, but stopped by a store since I had to run out.

Anyway, the store basically just called tech support, and then wiped the device. After it booted, no problems at all, everything provisioned and activated properly.

The tech did say that he *thought* the "bug" might be that some people (me included) start playing with the phone right away out of the box, and bypass the initial provisioning alert. Then when you try to provision it doesn't work the second (or third, fourth, etc) time. Thus, after wiping the device, you can again provision it (again) for the "first" time.

The above was just his guess, as he hasn't really seen a lot of Tours in the store yet, but a few have had the same issue as this and a reset/wipe solves the problem.

Just thought I'd share...
Old 07-20-2009, 10:10 PM   #36
southwestcomm
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: Many

Yes the device is set up to auto-provision. Forcing a manual provision request - especially multiple times - does cause issues. Best thing to due once the service is acvtivated is wait for the auto-provisioning screen to pop up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 9duc View Post
Just got my 9630 yesterday, and ran into the activation problem- voice was fine but no data. I saw this thread and was about to call tech support and do a wipe/reset, but stopped by a store since I had to run out.

Anyway, the store basically just called tech support, and then wiped the device. After it booted, no problems at all, everything provisioned and activated properly.

The tech did say that he *thought* the "bug" might be that some people (me included) start playing with the phone right away out of the box, and bypass the initial provisioning alert. Then when you try to provision it doesn't work the second (or third, fourth, etc) time. Thus, after wiping the device, you can again provision it (again) for the "first" time.

The above was just his guess, as he hasn't really seen a lot of Tours in the store yet, but a few have had the same issue as this and a reset/wipe solves the problem.

Just thought I'd share...
Old 07-20-2009, 10:12 PM   #37
rambo47
Latino Hasta La Muerte

Sprint tried to tell me it was a network problem within the Sprint system itself, but that's obviously bull if a wipe/reset sorts it out. That tells me it's some of the Tours coming from RIM have a system problem, or the Sprint version of the OS is being corrupted on a batch of Tours.
Old 07-21-2009, 04:44 PM   #38
EdBBLuva

Model: 9650
PIN: "32186E38" New Pin!!!

Got my Tour on yesterday and I can't put it down. Even when in front of a PC/Mac I am often compelled to use my handset. I think I'm just ethusiatic about the improved performance and appearence of this unit. Sprint appears to have perfected the activation process now; and my activation was relatively painless. So far so go. Just wanted to share my little bit of happiness with the rest of the forum.
Old 07-21-2009, 06:30 PM   #39
juwaack68
iPhone Convert

Model: iP5
PIN: to beans
Carrier: I'm not

3 devices activated since yesterday (2 for work and 1 for my hubby) and all 3 activated very quickly - within 20 minutes. No issues so far, just have to get used to the new way the Profiles work (I may actually have to crack open the manual).

I did notice the battery door is a little 'wobbly' on mine, but doesn't feel like it's going to come off or anything. I LOVE the screen clarity and could easily become addicted to Word Mole.
Old 07-23-2009, 02:45 PM   #40
fuforums

Model: BOLD
Carrier: T-Mobile

I had a similar problem but wouldn't give up and the good woman on the Sprint BB support didn't give up either.

Basically, we figured out that we were getting error 1012. I had her reactivate the old Curve which gave messages. The Tour doesn't give messages when trying to provision because of the world phone ability or something. Anyways, when you call Sprint they deactivate your existing phone and reactivate your new one but they don't deal with the Data side. You have to get BB to do this. Apparently they are activating the new phone while the old data is still on the old phone but neither will work because they both only "halfway" activated. Once she reactivated my Curve then totally deactivated it we were on the network with the Tour in minutes. (after 3 hours). But she was very nice and took my suggestions and sounded hot but was probably fat.

I'm happy now except for battery life and the phone getting hot on long calls and it feels slippery to hold on to.
Closed Thread