Closed Thread

Old 06-07-2007, 08:43 PM   #21
MaryPoppinsBB

Model: 8100
PIN: N/A
Carrier: TMobile
Default Blackberry in water update :)

Please Login to Remove!

Ok I have semi good news! It seems as though my blackberry pearl might be working. I turned it on and what had happened before was that the keypad lit up but the lcd did not. I was still curious though so I held it under a lamp and I could see very faintly that the screen was actually turned on. I even made a phone call! The only thing I think that blew out was the backlight of the lcd. Does anyone know how that's possible to be fixed? Also, I don't have the software for the Pearl. Do you know if the Blackberry Desktop that came with the 7100 is compatible with the Pearl or do I have to download the most updated one? Thanks a lot!
MP
Old 06-07-2007, 08:55 PM   #22
JSanders
Crimson Tide Moderator

Model: Z30
PIN: t low
Carrier: Verizon

Wirelessly posted (8700g: BlackBerry8800/4.2.1 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/102)

You will need to download the latest version of Desktop Manager, scoll down at this link to find it. http://www.blackberryfaq.com/index.php/Main_Page
Old 06-07-2007, 11:47 PM   #23
John Clark
BBF Moderator

PIN: s & needles
Carrier: AT&T

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaryPoppinsBB View Post
Ok I have semi good news! It seems as though my blackberry pearl might be working. I turned it on and what had happened before was that the keypad lit up but the lcd did not. I was still curious though so I held it under a lamp and I could see very faintly that the screen was actually turned on. I even made a phone call! The only thing I think that blew out was the backlight of the lcd. Does anyone know how that's possible to be fixed? Also, I don't have the software for the Pearl. Do you know if the Blackberry Desktop that came with the 7100 is compatible with the Pearl or do I have to download the most updated one? Thanks a lot!
MP
**Merged your update thread with your original thread to keep it all in one place.
Old 06-11-2007, 07:04 AM   #24
zero7404
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: 9530
PIN: n/a
Carrier: tmob

mine just got it's first bathe yesterday !! it slipped out of my hand over a running faucet and into the sink.....ouch

had to grab it lightning fast, pull the shell, battery cover and the battery (all this in .00001 seconds...he he).

luckily, the case i use helped keep the water from going to the critical parts....just used a can of compressed air, and let it sit under a ceiling fan for about 1-2 hrs. with crossed-fingers, put the battery back in and it fired up like normal...

i know bb's look very cool without any cases/shells, but i put mine on when i first got the phone because i knew i'd drop it or get it wet someday....props out to Speck, the seethru hardshell they make for the pearl saved my phone.
Old 06-11-2007, 03:39 PM   #25
bigddallas
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Carrier: t-mobile
Default washing machine

i was texting and put my phone back in my pants pocket, i next decide to do laundry and take off my pants and left the phone in there. after 40 minutes i realized it and the phone was completely soaked. it doesnt work still and i had to pay the $110 deductible from assurion. the sim card, and micro sd card, and the battery were fine, but the phone wouldn't do a thing.

2004-2006 Sidekick II
2006 Sidekick III
2006-2007- Blackberry 8100
Old 06-12-2007, 07:57 AM   #26
swoosh0217
Knows Where the Search Button Is

PIN: 23DF2F34
Carrier: tmobile

Quote:
Originally Posted by sakman74 View Post
mine just got it's first bathe yesterday !! it slipped out of my hand over a running faucet and into the sink.....ouch

had to grab it lightning fast, pull the shell, battery cover and the battery (all this in .00001 seconds...he he).

luckily, the case i use helped keep the water from going to the critical parts....just used a can of compressed air, and let it sit under a ceiling fan for about 1-2 hrs. with crossed-fingers, put the battery back in and it fired up like normal...

i know bb's look very cool without any cases/shells, but i put mine on when i first got the phone because i knew i'd drop it or get it wet someday....props out to Speck, the seethru hardshell they make for the pearl saved my phone.
I had a similar incident but mine fell on a cup of water also. I pull the case took the battery out and let it sit on the sun for 1 hour and with crossed fingers it worked like normal!
Old 06-12-2007, 08:24 AM   #27
zero7404

Model: 9530
PIN: n/a
Carrier: tmob

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigddallas View Post
i was texting and put my phone back in my pants pocket, i next decide to do laundry and take off my pants and left the phone in there. after 40 minutes i realized it and the phone was completely soaked. it doesnt work still and i had to pay the $110 deductible from assurion. the sim card, and micro sd card, and the battery were fine, but the phone wouldn't do a thing.
bummer...but at least you have a really clean phone...
Old 06-12-2007, 08:51 AM   #28
PhillyGuy
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 8900
Carrier: TMO

Not a BB story, but a few years back, I have a nice Nokia phone with one of those quick release belt clips. I bent over to open up a sprinkler valve pit for a fire dept inspection and I felt the clip release but I was already starting to strighten up. The phone bounced off my knee and fell the 20 feet into the pit, bounced on a valve and into 3 or 4 feet of water. It's still there to my knowledge (I left that job two years ago). At&t/Cingy/At&t or whatever FedExed me a new phone that day.
Old 06-14-2007, 09:56 PM   #29
RoC1909
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8800
Carrier: AT&T

A lot of electronics can be submerged.....as long as the power isn't on at the time of submergence :(

If dried ABSOLUTELY COMPLETE, you might get away with this unfortunate event but if it's already acting up, I doubt it.
Old 06-27-2007, 04:47 PM   #30
rjg4567

Carrier: cingular
Default WOW I lucked out!

well....I was blowing lawn trimmings around a clients pool and guess what? I fell in! my pearl was of course...in my pocket! well i was bummed because i was sure she was a goner. the screen was full of water! I imediately took out the battery and just put the pearl om my dash in the sun. where im at in nor cal it's pretty hot. 95 or so today. I did a little more work then just drove home. I put the unit on it's side a foot and a half or so away from a hair dryer on low/warm and let it go for a couplr hours. low and behold! the darn thing fired up and appears to be working fine! WHEW! is all i've got to say.
Old 06-27-2007, 07:31 PM   #31
duc

Carrier: ATT&T

I would suggest pulling the unit apart and cleaning with either flux-off or electric part wash. Both will clean the minerals and other crap off from the water without leaving a residue on the circuit. The ghetto way would be using rubbing alchol if your cheap.

Here at work we've had dust short out compentents sometimes.
Old 06-28-2007, 10:37 AM   #32
seepydub

Carrier: T-mobile

I dropped my old 7100 into dirty dishwater while talking on it. I quickly removed the battery and used compressed air to blow it out. I then ran up to the lab I worked at and got some drierite desiccant and put it in a ziploc bag. I stuck the phone in the bag and left it there for about 4 days sitting in a warm area.

After that, the phone worked well for over a year until I upgraded to the 8100 (in fact, it still works). The only problem was that the microphone in the phone slowly died a little less than a year after it happened. I don't know if that had anything to do with the water or not. I just had to use it with an ear bud.
Old 06-30-2007, 08:38 PM   #33
CarlGalgano
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9000
Carrier: ATT

The rice thing does the trick. I have also had problems when being out in very high humidity (FLA). where some keys would act like they were stuck, but after an hour in AC, it is fine again. Ive had that problem with both an 8700 and 7130.
Old 07-04-2007, 01:36 AM   #34
chefjulz

Model: 8703e
Default 1" Of Water And I was relentless!!!!! uggggggh!

I was saving myself from slipping in the kitchen where I work and the bb was in hand as usual (just finished a call) and my precious bb was knocked out of my hand and in to the recycle trash can that had water in the bottom thankfully it was barely full, I took it out and removed the battery and shook out the water but then like a deedeedee, I put the battery back in and tried to see if it would work....I have Never dropped a phone let alone a bb in any liquid before! It came on but i couldn't do anything it was frozen and the cloud had started in the corner .. I finally found this forum and left the battery out and tried to take it apart but my allen wrenches wouldn't do anything but strip the screws, I did put the battery back in and it was firing but now the screen flickering (I now know I shouldn't have done that ) so now it sits in a bin of rice, I am so sad I DID cry! and I don't want to have to pay the deductible as they said it wasn't covered by insurance!!!! *wtheck is?* I always feel i can fix things myself.. someone please tell me i didn't fry it by putting the battery in too soon...
happy and safe 4th!
julz
Old 07-04-2007, 03:38 PM   #35
shu_rsd

Carrier: tmobile

i threw up on mine, but it was an 8700. same symptoms. i had to open it, i took everything apart and wiped every single circuit with q-tip and then dried it off. and what do you know? I resurrected it.
Old 12-11-2007, 04:42 AM   #36
iltenoredallaspagna

Model: Pearl
Carrier: Tmobile
Default Somebody HELP

I'm a Voice Teacher that heavily depends on his phone to arrange appointments with his clients. My phone was partially submerged face down in a draining toilet. :'C i took the battery out immediately and dried it off, waited a few hours- and did the most awful thing ever. I put the battery back in to test it out. The keypad is DEAD. it's acting up and I don't know what to do. Can somebody please offer advice. If the phone doesn't have a chance at recovery- can somebody tell me how much it may be to get it replaced with tmob? It's been less than a year since I've been signed on with them and I'm sure i'm only just under warranty.

Please help!
Old 12-11-2007, 02:00 PM   #37
sgtcasey

Model: 8320
Carrier: T-Mobile

edit

Last edited by sgtcasey; 12-24-2007 at 06:21 PM..
Old 12-11-2007, 02:26 PM   #38
redhandeddenial
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8130
Carrier: vzw

put it in a bag of dry rice

and pray that its not fried
Old 12-11-2007, 02:32 PM   #39
JSanders
Crimson Tide Moderator

PIN: t low

The FAQ has detailed tips:
Got Your BlackBerry Wet? - BlackBerryFAQ
Old 09-06-2008, 12:20 PM   #40
joro

Model: 8300
Carrier: T-Mobile
Default Same problem-any solution?

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaryPoppinsBB View Post
MP
I have the same problem-no backlight of the LCD and the phone works. Does anybody has an idea how to fix it? Thanks!
Closed Thread