BlackBerry Forums Support Community

Closed Thread

Old 03-26-2007, 12:32 AM   #41
pengrus
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 8800
Carrier: Cingular

Please Login to Remove!

Have you discovered what the trackball can do within Mapquest Navigator? If you move LEFT or RIGHT, it'll take to you different view of ROUTE OVERVIEW, ROUTE ITINERARY, NAVIGATION MAP, etc, and the trackball left or right also brings up other options in some other window, I thought it is pretty cool, and not mentioned anywhere.
Old 03-26-2007, 11:31 AM   #42
takeshi
BlackBerry Mensa

Model: 8310
Carrier: at&t

Quote:
Originally Posted by wangta01
It makes rerouting very fast (i missed one turn b/c of a freakin huge tractor trailer), and saves the amount of internet service required, which saves the battery (I think) and makes everything run faster, since the data is downloaded already. The voice prompts were very loud and clear - almost startled me a couple times as I got caught up listening to the radio.
Interesting -- I've found the opposite to be true in my experiences with the two apps. Mapquest always seems to take longer to reroute. I also like having the street names announced as it's not always convenient to look at the screen when dealing with traffic.

The Mapquest interface does need some work. It's pretty cumbersome and annoying but it is free...
Old 05-19-2007, 11:36 AM   #43
ggammill
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 7520
Carrier: nextel
Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stinsonddog View Post
Not free - 9.99 a month. Right now you might not like it. The input GUI is terrible in that for each data field you have to open a new window so to speak instead of putting all data in one screen for an address. I am trying to get them to fix this. The DL of maps does take alot more time and so does zooming. These are trade offs. I think without the GUI fix I would bet too frustrated. That is why I await the new versions from both of them. Promised to be within a month but I am not holding my breath either.
I've been using telenav for a year on my 7520. I have been very frustrated with it as it has no route overview, nor movable map while navigating. When asked about it, I was told this was due to a limitation of the 7520 (although Hello World seemed to be able to follow me with no problem.) Telenav's support is ridiculous. If you have a problem with their software, they blame everything on the phone, or the nextel service itself. Check their forum and you will see what I'm talking about.

I was pleased when Mapquest Navigator came on the scene. It has everything that telenav for the 7520 doesn't. So far, I haven't had any problems with it finding satellites, or connecting to their server, or any of the mind numbing problems I have with Telenav.

The cons with Mapquest are keeping me from cancelling Telenav though:

Waaaaaay too long to load. It takes almost 45 seconds to boot up as opposed to abut 10 seconds for Telenav.

What's the deal with the loading bar? It doesn't show from 0 - 100%, it just fills up and starts over when it's full.

No access to the address book. This is something that absolutely needs to be changed. Not that I need directions to someone in my address book, but I use the navigator to get my eta, as well as how far it is.

POI- Telenav beats Mapquest hands down in this area. POI along the route would be nice. I travel quite a bit and this is a necessary feature.

The GUI is horrible. This definitely needs to be fixed. Clicking twice for everything is a pain in the thumb. It seems to me that this should have never made it to a released version in the first place.

Some of these have already been discussed in this thread. Hopefully Mapquest will address some of these in ver 3. BTW Stinsonddog, do you know when it will be released? Will it be available for the 7520?

Last edited by ggammill; 05-21-2007 at 12:50 PM..
Old 05-22-2007, 03:42 PM   #44
ggammill

I guess my question was buried in my post.

Stinsondog, do you know when Mapquest v.3 will be released?
Old 05-25-2007, 12:58 PM   #45
97Camaroguy

Model: 8330
Carrier: Verizon

[QUOTE=Does anyone know what happens after the supposed 90 day "trial period?"[/QUOTE]

I downloaded the 90 day trial version back in Feb.
After your 90 days is up the program just tells you it can't navigate because your free trial period is up.
Mine notified me of this en route to Alabama, which of course made me tremendously happy.
However, a simple phone call to the office where someone with internet access could get onto Mapquest for me and re-enter my number for the now 30 day trial period.
MQ sent me a text with a new link and after downloading and re-installing the program, I am good to go again for another 30 days.
I suppose as long as they have free trials for Nextel customers, mine will be free.

I have not tried Telenav, but I do love Mapquest Navigator.
Old 05-26-2007, 10:15 AM   #46
ggammill

Quote:
Originally Posted by ggammill View Post
I guess my question was buried in my post.

Stinsondog, do you know when Mapquest v.3 will be released?
*tap tap tap*

Is this thing on?
Old 06-24-2007, 10:09 AM   #47
ggammill

any update on the new version of MapQuest Navigator? I thought Stinsondog said somewhere that a new version would be out soon.
Closed Thread