BlackBerry Forums Support Community

Closed Thread

Old 08-29-2007, 04:30 PM   #41
Cory Scheuer
No longer Registered.

Model: 8900
Carrier: None

Please Login to Remove!

no worries, we all make mistakes... myself included... but yeah it sucks how rogers/fido doesnt give them...
Old 08-29-2007, 05:01 PM   #42
Global Unlock
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 8100
Carrier: Fido

No worries, we all make mistake. I was refering to Rogers Blackberry

I have a lot of customers who are not able to get it from T Mobile, but most can get it. Not sure what is up with that.

Thanks
Global Unlock
Global Unlock
Old 08-29-2007, 05:04 PM   #43
John Clark
BBF Moderator

Model: Z30
PIN: s & needles
Carrier: AT&T

Your account has to be in good standing with TMobile. That's probably what's up with that. Also, they will only do one phone per 90 days.
Old 08-29-2007, 05:38 PM   #44
bb-mike
Thumbs Must Hurt

Carrier: Rogers

Rogers = Robbers.
Old 08-29-2007, 05:40 PM   #45
Cory Scheuer
No longer Registered.

Mike

lets not diss any companies here. every company in canada is expensive. telus, bell, fido or rogers. they are all expensive.
Old 08-30-2007, 12:24 AM   #46
gizmo01

Model: 9700

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cory Scheuer View Post
Mike

lets not diss any companies here. every company in canada is expensive. telus, bell, fido or rogers. they are all expensive.
Ya, they're all expensive, but do any of the other Canadian carriers absolutely REFUSE to unlock ANY of their phones? I'm asking because I don't know.

Here's the thing that I don't understand. From what I've been told, RIM will NOT warranty an unlocked Rogers BB. Why does RIM care if I've unlocked their phone, which is via a software method. What does me punching in a code have to do with my hardware's warranty? Sounds like I'm being tied into using Rogers for all of my international phone calls via a monopoly. Is this even legal in Canada?

I've been with Rogers over 10 years and they generate revenue of over $4k a year with me. I'm going to try to get an unlock code, just for fun. I really don't need it...not until next Summer anyways.

I'll keep you posted.
Old 08-30-2007, 01:22 AM   #47
Cory Scheuer
No longer Registered.

well you cant use a bell phone on telus and vice versa because they are CDMA

now as for Telus or bell unlocking them i dont know, but you should know that rogers and fido are the only GSM providers in canada

and you couldnt have been a rogers wireless customer for 10 years because they havent even been open for ten years

Fido was the first GSM provider in canada and we have barely been open for 10 years lol

I'm not sure about the RIM thing, getting it unlocked voiding the warranty, i have no idea. But i mean there are tons of options out there for you to unlock your Rogers BB for you to use it over seas, so just use that, dont waste the cust service reps time with trying to get an unlock code cuz you wont get it

as for if its legal for them to keep the phone locked, my guess would be yes because the CRTC has yet to say anything, that and Rogers used to unlock phones BUT it costs $250 bucks to do it. its a way of keeping the customers. but now Rogers doesnt care, cuz the only other provider is Fido which is owned by Rogers so either way they are going to get the money from it.

lol either way if you want GSM rogers or fido is the only way to go. and from what i have seen since i have been working with Fido is that Telus and Bell are HORIBLE!!!! not only for customer service but for over charging and not giving a rats ass about you, i can garauntee that Fido will not treat you that way at all! you know how many credits i give out a month, anywhere from 1000-5000$. thats including adjusting errors, accidental roaming, and credits out of my pocket.

No the reason i saw Fido is good is not because i work there, i say that because i have friends on all the networks and OMG they stories out of there mouths is horrid! and on top of it my girlfriend is on rogers and whenever i deal with stuff for her, i swear it takes me about 4-6 calls to get to the right agent and will even look at helping me...

the diff between rogers and fido is everything, the only thing we share is the network. the plans are all diff, the phones, the way we handle out business is all different...
Old 08-30-2007, 11:21 AM   #48
Global Unlock

Carrier: Fido

I think he meant that he has been with Rogers, not Rogers on GSM for 10 years. I have been with them for 8 years (my wife uses the phone since it is a grandfathered plan).

No competition in Canada besides the 4, plus anyone who comes in has to piggyback off one of those networks.

I was in a store yesterday and I saw one of those Cantel ATT brick phones.

Thanks
Global Unlock
Global Unlock
Old 08-30-2007, 11:08 PM   #49
gizmo01

Quote:
well you cant use a bell phone on telus and vice versa because they are CDMA

now as for Telus or bell unlocking them i dont know, but you should know that rogers and fido are the only GSM providers in canada

and you couldnt have been a rogers wireless customer for 10 years because they havent even been open for ten years

Fido was the first GSM provider in canada and we have barely been open for 10 years lol

I'm not sure about the RIM thing, getting it unlocked voiding the warranty, i have no idea. But i mean there are tons of options out there for you to unlock your Rogers BB for you to use it over seas, so just use that, dont waste the cust service reps time with trying to get an unlock code cuz you wont get it

as for if its legal for them to keep the phone locked, my guess would be yes because the CRTC has yet to say anything, that and Rogers used to unlock phones BUT it costs $250 bucks to do it. its a way of keeping the customers. but now Rogers doesnt care, cuz the only other provider is Fido which is owned by Rogers so either way they are going to get the money from it.

lol either way if you want GSM rogers or fido is the only way to go. and from what i have seen since i have been working with Fido is that Telus and Bell are HORIBLE!!!! not only for customer service but for over charging and not giving a rats ass about you, i can garauntee that Fido will not treat you that way at all! you know how many credits i give out a month, anywhere from 1000-5000$. thats including adjusting errors, accidental roaming, and credits out of my pocket.

No the reason i saw Fido is good is not because i work there, i say that because i have friends on all the networks and OMG they stories out of there mouths is horrid! and on top of it my girlfriend is on rogers and whenever i deal with stuff for her, i swear it takes me about 4-6 calls to get to the right agent and will even look at helping me...

the diff between rogers and fido is everything, the only thing we share is the network. the plans are all diff, the phones, the way we handle out business is all different...
Well, school starts soon enough, but I'll open up my class for you a little early. I've been with Rogers for about 12 years actually. There were other technologies prior to GSM ya know. Ted owned all of them, including Cantel AT&T and when it was just Rogers Cantel.

My point was this: this is a monopoly. I have the need for a GSM phone because I sometimes travel. I have the need for a Blackberry because of my work. I have ZERO choice in the matter in Canada. That's by definition a monopoly.

It's more than obvious that you're a Fido fanboy since you sell the product. You can't do anything for me since you don't sell Blackberry's. Why are you even in this topic anyways? Your points have nothing to do with unlocking the Pearl.

RIM told a friend of mine that they don't service unlocked phones. This doesn't make sense to me because a software lock doesn't break a phone. This is not right.

You made the assertion that it must be okay that they do it and so it's not illegal. You also mention the CRTC. Did you know that they only act when there's complaints?

So, it must be legal because the company does it? Ever hear of Microsoft?

I do plan on pursuing this and I will pass along any contact information I get for anyone also wants to complain. If enough of us actually do something about it instead of just complaining about it here, maybe something will get done.

giz
Old 08-30-2007, 11:34 PM   #50
Cory Scheuer
No longer Registered.

Giz

Dont talk to me like a child...

I work for Rogers in the Fido brand, yes you are right i dont sell Blackberry but what does that have to do with me not having the training? Thats what i though, how much training have you had for wireless tech support and overall wireless support? I have had well over 6 months worth of training and i have only been there for 8 months now. So i think i know a little more about how things work in the wireless world here in Canada.

I know AT&T was there before it became "Rogers Wireless" so again dont talk to me like i dont know anything.

The reason why you think its a monopoly is because there has been no one that has opened anything else here! Before Rogers bought Fido there was competition, its not my fault nor anyone else that Fido decided to sell to Rogers. Its called business. Now i'm sure if someone decided to come here and built towers and had service that would be great! Why dont we try and get Tmo up here! that would be more competition there! hell i wouldnt mind, but in the end i really dont care.

I am in there thread because i was telling the OP that he cannot get Rogers to unlock his BB. If you want to try feel free, but you wont get anywhere. i garauntee it! Rogers has got ride of any and all software to do so. so dont count on it.

Cory
Old 08-30-2007, 11:38 PM   #51
John Clark
BBF Moderator

Don't let this turn into a brawl....
Old 08-31-2007, 01:49 AM   #52
davedcraig

Quote:
Giz

I work for Rogers in the Fido brand, yes you are right i dont sell Blackberry but what does that have to do with me not having the training? Thats what i though, how much training have you had for wireless tech support and overall wireless support? I have had well over 6 months worth of training and i have only been there for 8 months now. So i think i know a little more about how things work in the wireless world here in Canada.

I know AT&T was there before it became "Rogers Wireless" so again dont talk to me like i dont know anything.

The reason why you think its a monopoly is because there has been no one that has opened anything else here! Before Rogers bought Fido there was competition, its not my fault nor anyone else that Fido decided to sell to Rogers. Its called business. Now i'm sure if someone decided to come here and built towers and had service that would be great! Why dont we try and get Tmo up here! that would be more competition there! hell i wouldnt mind, but in the end i really dont care.

I am in there thread because i was telling the OP that he cannot get Rogers to unlock his BB. If you want to try feel free, but you wont get anywhere. i garauntee it! Rogers has got ride of any and all software to do so. so dont count on it.

Cory
Cory, I understand what your saying but if people don't ask for unlock codes then things will never change. The point isn't to obtain the unlock code but rather let Rogers know that some customer are unpleased with their practices. I pay them $400-$500 a month in service fees and if I feel like wasting my time and theirs on the phone then I will cause I've paid for that right.

I have a Pearl with Rogers currently and I can tell you after spending close to $600 for my (unsubsidized) phone I'm really pissed that I have to pay someone else another $65 to get rid of a software lock that my carrier put in place. Honestly, why should I have to pay that money for a phone I own? Kind of like the dealership changing the locks on your new car you paid in cash and them only lending you the keys so you can drive it around their lot.

See, the real problem (besides the fact the government allowed this) is that we as customers have no choice for GSM carrier. Anyway that you look at it, Rogers is a monopoly in the wireless sector. I look forward to the day when customers actually stand up to them and put and end to void warranties on unlocked phones (RIM site says to contact your carrier for unlock codes), overcharging on data plans and just being outright uncompititive.

BTW: In regards to Fido, they are worst then Rogers. Same "who cares about the customer" attitude with a crappier phone selection.

Before I moved over to Rogers from Fido I asked for a billing adjustment for being overcharged. I was told that the adjusted statement would be mailed to me and to pay my bill then. I never received the revised paper bill but rather a collections notice for the total unchanged amount. Also, ask any Fido customer how satisfied and compensated they were for the constant network problems during the merger with Rogers which went on for well over a year. Please don't make Fido out to be something there not, they don't care about their customers.
Old 08-31-2007, 02:09 AM   #53
Cory Scheuer
No longer Registered.

I dont know what kind of problems during the merger you are talking about, cuz i was a Fido customer during the whole process and i never once had a problem.

I agree that we should have more choice for providers and what not but there isnt anything we can do about it, we cant make companies open up. Like we cant make Tmo come to Canada.

As for unlock codes, Rogers used to provide them, but stopped, i dont know why, there was never any mention as to why or anything they just stopped.

In regards to Fido customer Service. you think Fido doesnt care about customers? really, then how is it that Fido, since the openning of local number protability, gained more customers then lost? Why is it every day i see more customers joining Fido then leaving?

I dont know what your issue was with billing, its not my place to know or see as its well in the past. Fido versus Rogers customer service is more strict. I have seen the difference in what we need to do. We have SO many calls monitered its not funny, out of the 1200 i take a month, about 500 are monitorer and graded. If we do shity then we get in shit. In the 7 years i have been a Fido customer i have never once had a bad experience with a rep. and i call in alot to get services added, removed, billing issues ect ect...

The amount of stuff we have to say and do in a call is rediculas (sp?) we have to use the persons name at least 3 times, we have to say certain things in a call. and if we miss one thing we fail the call.

I dont know the last time you were a customer of Fido but things have changed alot in the past year. I know that the customer service wasnt the best back in the day but it sure has improved, and out of the 4 providers in Canada, telus, bell, and Rogers. And i have delt with all of them on a regular basis. Fido has been the best. and i'm saying that from a customers point of view.

but we can keep on arguing about this for hours and days, its not going to go anywhere. its personal opinion and expirience...
Old 08-31-2007, 06:08 AM   #54
gizmo01

Quote:
Giz

Cory
Cory,

I didn't 'start' anything until you called me a liar about how long I've been a Rogers customer. Besides, you clearly missed my point entirely. Rogers has a monopoly. It's not just my opinion, it's a fact.

My point again, since you glossed right over it, is that unless us customers complain to everyone that has something to do with it, then we get what we deserve as the passive Canadians that we are.

WHY, exactly are you trying to persuade people to avoid trying anyways? I know what the immediate response will be. I also know that I can write the president of both companies and ask for an explanation. I also know that I can forward all of my concerns to the CRTC (although I don't think they have anything to do with it). I also know that I could initiate a Small Claims action against Rogers and RIM just to force them to answer the issue in a court.

There are lots of things that I can do. You shouldn't be the one Fido fanboy that goes around telling people to not bother. We should be yelling and screaming about it since it is a monopoly.

Again I ask...and since you aren't a child...do you remember what happened to Microsoft?
Old 09-03-2007, 08:15 PM   #55
fr0zen
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8310

..... well i thought i'll let you guys know, i can get any Rogers blackberry unlocked for $45 CAD. PM me.
Old 09-03-2007, 08:41 PM   #56
gizmo01

Quote:
Originally Posted by fr0zen View Post
..... well i thought i'll let you guys know, i can get any Rogers blackberry unlocked for $45 CAD. PM me.
Great. Can you get RIM to honour their warranty too?
Old 09-03-2007, 11:52 PM   #57
peach11107

PIN: N/A
Carrier: tmobile

if your phone is unlocked when you install new os do you need to unlock again
Old 09-03-2007, 11:56 PM   #58
John Clark
BBF Moderator

No, once the phone is unlocked it will never lock again.
Old 09-05-2007, 08:06 AM   #59
l1lll

PIN: N/A

Quote:
Originally Posted by gizmo01 View Post
Cory,

I didn't 'start' anything until you called me a liar about how long I've been a Rogers customer. Besides, you clearly missed my point entirely. Rogers has a monopoly. It's not just my opinion, it's a fact.

My point again, since you glossed right over it, is that unless us customers complain to everyone that has something to do with it, then we get what we deserve as the passive Canadians that we are.

WHY, exactly are you trying to persuade people to avoid trying anyways? I know what the immediate response will be. I also know that I can write the president of both companies and ask for an explanation. I also know that I can forward all of my concerns to the CRTC (although I don't think they have anything to do with it). I also know that I could initiate a Small Claims action against Rogers and RIM just to force them to answer the issue in a court.

There are lots of things that I can do. You shouldn't be the one Fido fanboy that goes around telling people to not bother. We should be yelling and screaming about it since it is a monopoly.

Again I ask...and since you aren't a child...do you remember what happened to Microsoft?

I totally agree with you. I am not sure, but someone told me that Canada does not allow international carriers to enter the market. If they did, customers would have better choice, cheaper rates and the unlocking codes

Not giving the codes sounds kind of unethical. Esp. since I dont have a contract with them. I will be travelling to another country for 2 months and this quad band fone will just be a paperweight unless I get it unlocked from someone else. I have bookmarked this thread and will be very interested to know if you make any progress.

Meanwhile I will just get my phone unlocked from somewhere. fr0zen's offer sounds reasonable, has anyone tried him?
Old 09-05-2007, 09:21 AM   #60
gizmo01

Quote:
Originally Posted by l1lll View Post
I totally agree with you. I am not sure, but someone told me that Canada does not allow international carriers to enter the market. If they did, customers would have better choice, cheaper rates and the unlocking codes

Not giving the codes sounds kind of unethical. Esp. since I dont have a contract with them. I will be travelling to another country for 2 months and this quad band fone will just be a paperweight unless I get it unlocked from someone else. I have bookmarked this thread and will be very interested to know if you make any progress.

Meanwhile I will just get my phone unlocked from somewhere. fr0zen's offer sounds reasonable, has anyone tried him?
I just wrote to both companies. I'll let you know what I find out. I want assurances from RIM that my warranty is still intact before I unlock my own phone.

giz

Update: Got a canned reply from RIM so far. Looks like they're saying that Rogers made that policy part of their agreement for doing business with RIM. They also confirmed that RIM will not provide warranty coverage for an unlocked Rogers BB. I've challenged them on that point.

Last edited by gizmo01; 09-05-2007 at 09:28 PM.. Reason: Update
Closed Thread