Old 08-04-2009, 07:57 AM   #1
esfoad
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 9630
PIN: 30B42B94
Carrier: Verizon Wireless
Default Connecting Tour to Lenovo T61P by Bluetooth

Please Login to Remove!

Anyone else having trouble with this? I cannot complete the connection. I never had trouble conneceting my Pearl 8130 so I don't think it's operator error.

Also, Media Manager 9 is giving me the error when starting and crashes.

DM 5.0. Device software is the 4.7 that came with the device.

FYI I cannot connect the Tour to the laptop with Windows or DM.

Windows Vista Ultimate on the laptop. Completely up to date.
Old 08-04-2009, 09:02 AM   #2
ndub33
Stuck In The '70's Mod

Model: 9810
Carrier: T-Mobile

Is your physical connection directly to your PC, or via a hub? If it's a hub, try connecting the cable directly to your PC.
Old 08-04-2009, 11:23 AM   #3
tcumbo

PIN: N/A
Carrier: Sprint

I think it's because DM needs to have a standard Bluetooth device, and the Lenovos are specific bluetooth devices made just for Lenovo. I had many problems getting this to work, and now it *sometimes* connects.
Old 08-04-2009, 11:36 AM   #4
Bing0

Carrier: Verizon

Quote:
Originally Posted by tcumbo View Post
I think it's because DM needs to have a standard Bluetooth device, and the Lenovos are specific bluetooth devices made just for Lenovo. I had many problems getting this to work, and now it *sometimes* connects.
This is completely false. I am a Lenovo Authorized Reseller and I just set mine up in less than 10 minutes (T60p).

Bluetooth is a standardized protocol and in no way specific to Lenovo devices. First make sure you have the latest access connections software and drivers then pair your phone with your laptop. "Add a Bluetooth Device" Then setup your connection options properly in BB Desktop Manager software.

Bing0
Old 08-04-2009, 11:49 AM   #5
tcumbo

Carrier: Sprint

You're right - I had researched this when I connected my Curve last year. The stock MS Bluetooth drivers were what doesn't work with the Broadcom bluetooth device in my X300. I just had to get the correct drivers from Lenovo to make it all work.
Old 08-06-2009, 09:02 AM   #6
esfoad

Thanks for all the replies. So far I've been on the phone with Lenovo 4 times with no resolution though each technician is trying. I have reinstalled Power Manager, Hot Key Driver and Bluetooth Driver (in that order per instructions). I may try to reinstall Access Connections though that is working perfectly for my WiFi connections both at the office and at home. It seems that the Windows/Thinkpad software is the culprit since when I try to add a Bluetooth device I do not see the Add Device Wizard. It goes directly to the window where the devices are supposed to be listed. There are no devices listed. Ugh!
Old 08-07-2009, 06:48 AM   #7
jgb@etree
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 9930
Carrier: VZW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bing0 View Post
This is completely false. I am a Lenovo Authorized Reseller and I just set mine up in less than 10 minutes (T60p).

Bluetooth is a standardized protocol and in no way specific to Lenovo devices. First make sure you have the latest access connections software and drivers then pair your phone with your laptop. "Add a Bluetooth Device" Then setup your connection options properly in BB Desktop Manager software.

Bing0

The problem isn't with the Lenovo deployment per se - it's the BT stack that Lenovo was using (at least at that time). We've got 200+ users with BB's and T60/T60p's, and in order to allow them to sync to DM, we had to do two things:

1. Create a custom policy that allows the BT Desktop Bypass.
2. Create a custom BT stack/driver.

I can probably dig up some additional details on this when I get into the office, but it's pretty well documented. There is a RIM KB article about needing the default Windows XP SP2 (SP3 is also OK) BT stack for compatibility (and the drivers that shipped on the T60/T60p are not the stock XP BT drivers). I attached a picture of my device manager showing the custom BT stack. IIRC, it was a pretty quick & simple fix once I found all of the information I needed. This problem goes back a long ways - to my 8703e days.

A few links that may be helpful (URL's for RIMs KB articles have all changed):
http://www.blackberryforums.com/gene...onization.html
http://www.blackberryforums.com/gene...bluetooth.html
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	customBT.JPG
Views:	72
Size:	64.1 KB
ID:	16931  

BES 5.0.4 ~ BES 10.1

Last edited by jgb@etree; 08-07-2009 at 07:02 AM..
Old 08-08-2009, 11:48 AM   #8
esfoad

I'm not sure I understand the issue. Seems like my issue may be more serious since I cannot pair my Microsoft Bluetooth mouse anymore either. I had no problem pairing the mouse and my Pearl before. Seems like the issue started when I upgraded to Vista SP2. Is this possible? Right now my mouse works with the supplied dongle but not the on-board BT. Thanks again for your help.
Old 08-08-2009, 05:12 PM   #9
Bing0

Carrier: Verizon

This problem can generally occur because of the way that the hotkey driver interacts with Access Connections and other wireless software. If the drivers and software are not installed in the correct order, getting correct functionality with the wireless software can be a nightmare.

Try uninstalling all wireless related software and hotkey software (I think there might be two uninstalls related to the hotkey feature) and then use Lenovo System Update to reinstall everything. The hotkey feature is controlled by using Fn and F5 pressed at the same time to enable and disable wireless radios.

This may or may not help but it is worth a try.

Bing0
Old 08-10-2009, 06:33 AM   #10
jgb@etree
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 9930
Carrier: VZW

Found the RIM KB article on pairing via BT.

How to set up Bluetooth connectivity with BlackBerry Desktop Manager

Quote:
Windows XP and Windows Vista both come with a generic Bluetooth device manager. Verify that you are running this application and not third-party Bluetooth software.

In the system tray, double-click the Bluetooth icon.

If the Bluetooth icon does not appear in the system tray, open the Control Panel and double-click Bluetooth Devices.

If the Bluetooth Device window appears, then you are running the Microsoft® Bluetooth software. Therefore, you meet the system requirements to set up a Bluetooth connection.
If the My Bluetooth Places window appears, then you are running third-party Bluetooth software (for example, WIDCOMM). To meet the system requirements, remove this software. In order to have third-party Bluetooth software removed correctly, contact the software manufacturer.
Edit/Disclaimer: Just found the instructions for creating a 'custom' driver. These aren't the directions that I used originally, but it looks right. You only need to follow the steps below if you find that you are using a WIDCOMM )or other non-MSFT BT stack). YMMV

Bluetooth grayed out in Desktop Manager? - BlackBerry Forums at CrackBerry.com

Quote:
1. Go to Device Manager and right click on your bluetooth device, then click properties.

2. Go to the "Details" Tab and select the Device Instance Id.

3. Now click on the Id in the box below. It will look something like USB\VID_050D&PID_0131\5&31AD355&0&1.

4. Press ctrl + c to copy the id.

5. Open Notepad on your PC and paste the id in to it.

6. Remove the last part of the id so it looks like USB\VID_050D&PID_0131

7. Copy the modified id to your clipboard.

8. Go to Start then Run and type %windir%\inf\bth.inf in the box. Click OK.

9. Notepad will open this file.

10. Scroll down the notepad until you see:

Code:
;------------- Device section - Start -----------------------

[ALPS.NT.5.1]
ALPS Integrated Bluetooth Device= BthUsb, USB\Vid_044e&Pid_3005
Alps Bluetooth USB Adapter= BthUsb, USB\Vid_044e&Pid_3006

[Belkin.NT.5.1]
Belkin Bluetooth Adapter= BthUsb, USB\Vid_050d&Pid_0081
Belkin Bluetooth Adapter= BthUsb, USB\Vid_050d&Pid_0084
IBM BT for RIM BB= BthUsb, USB\VID_050D&PID_0131

[BrainBoxes.NT.5.1]
Brain Boxes USB Bluetooth Adapter BL-554= BthUsb, USB\Vid_05d1&Pid_0003
11. This is where you are going to add your device id. Paste the id from step 7 in to this file. Be sure to add a device name so it looks like this: (see red text in example)

IBM BT for RIM BB= BthUsb, USB\VID_050D&0131

12. Save this file and close notepad.

13. Go to Add/Remove Programs in Control Panel and remove all the Bluetooth software you have installed.

14. Reboot
Hope this helps. The RIM KB outlines the policy changes that may need to be pushed from a BES (if connected to a BES) to enable Desktop Connectivity & Wireless Bypass.

BES 5.0.4 ~ BES 10.1

Last edited by jgb@etree; 08-10-2009 at 06:51 AM..
Closed Thread