Closed Thread

Old 04-10-2007, 02:53 PM   #1
Dawgfan
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 9000
Carrier: Cingular
Default User Review of Seidio Rubberized Swivel Lock Holster for 8800

Please Login to Remove!

I posted this review in the 8800 section as it is specific to the 8800 but thought it would be helpful to put it here as well....

My case arrived yesterday and I have been using it constantly. I should start off my saying that I had been using the OEM case here and there but just was not a fan of the looks or the functionality. It was bulky and the entry/exit was cumbersome to me (having to hold back the flap).

The main thing I like about this Seidio case is that it holds my 8800 like a vice grip yet shows off my device as it is not hidden in some generic leather case. Call me a geek but I like the fact that folks can see I have the 8800 on my hip. The case will work with the 8800 facing in or out so if you want, the front of your 8800 can be shown.

The first thing I did was grab some pillows, put the 8800 in the case and start trying to shake and pull it out of the case. Not happening. I even pulled on the 8800 to the point that the case was flexing and it did not pull the 8800 out. Sweet.

I am a fan of the dull rubberized look and the material feels good and "grippy". It seems like it is doing a very good job of gripping the device without the risk of scratching the surface of the 8800.

A few things I noticed that I really liked:

* Very slim when compared to the OEM case or any full case for that matter.
* You can see the LED with it in the case so you don't have to remove it to see the email or message notification (I often leave my BB on the desk or couch in the case next to me). There is even a slot at the top that matches up with the speaker of the 8800.
* Several people here have asked about how it handles the "ball" and it seems as though (Seidio may correct me if I am wrong) the case puts the 8800 at an angle where the "ball" will be a bit off of the felt. This also "drives" the top of the 8800 into the clip, most likely providing a more secure grip.
* Felt on the inside of the case is a nice touch to keep the screen from getting scratched.
* I really like the swivel function and what I have been doing is keeping the 8800 on my belt vertically and if I need the phone I swivel it horizontally as this provides a really easy and safe way to get the 8800 out of and into the case. I have never been a fan of having my phone on my belt horizontally but I really like being able to click it over and pull it right out.
* Someone may have mentioned this but it does clip quite snugly to whatevery you clip it to. The clip even has a bit of an underhang that seems to provide a bit more grap to a belt or whatever.
* I almost forgot. Part of this is the 8800 and part of this is the case but with the case and phone being so light, I wore this around on some gym shorts for a while and did not get that "hanging/sagging" feeling.
* This just crossed my mind but unlike some other cases, if anything is spilled or gets on this case, I am pretty sure you could just wash it off with soap and water.

I am adding a photo from their Seidio's site in case someone just went to the second page of this thread..

I am very happy with this case. Hope this helps anyone who was curious like me a few days ago.

Last edited by Dawgfan; 04-10-2007 at 10:18 PM..
Old 04-11-2007, 12:00 PM   #2
kjaslow

Model: 9800
Carrier: Telstra

I saw this review in another thread and made similar comments, but want to come on a bit stronger on one point...

First off, there does seems to be an indent in the plastic behind the felt for where the pearl would go. The 8800 doesn't sit at an angle away from the felt...the ball just has some extra room so nothing pushes on it when it's in the case.

Love the rubberized material for this holster. I had the 8700 one, and was very happy with it. I like this one even better because of that.

The slot above the speaker is a clever idea, so that the various alerts/ringtones do not get muffled.

The thing that I'm having some issue with is the shape of the clip. Since the clip is flat, but the top of the phone is rounded, the clip wants to drop into the slot on the phone where the speaker is. With my 8700 Seidio case, I could just push the phone into the clip. and the clip would nicely travel over the phone and secure it. Same was essentially true as I was removing the phone from the holster with one hand. With the 8800 model, the clip gets caught in the slot for speaker. I would have liked to see the clip be wider, and shaped with a curve to match the top of the phone, so that the clip would not snag the speaker slot.

As things are, I'll certainly continue to use the holster. But over time, I worry that if I keep putting pressure on the back of the phone where the speaker slot is, I'll eventually snap the plastic on the back of the phone.

Anyone else having similar experiences?
Old 04-11-2007, 01:55 PM   #3
Dawgfan

Model: 9000
Carrier: Cingular

There is a dimple for the the ball on the 8800.
If you hold the case (with the phone in it) in front of you with the top of the phone to the right, holding the case level you can see that the actual phone is at an angle that not only provides some space for the ball but also puts the top of the 8800 into a good secure angle to the clip at the top.

I have not had any issue with the clip grabbing the speaker slot. The clip is actually designed to where the space fits great on the top of the phone and the part that grabs or hold the phone is just on the backside of the phone. I guess it could have been a few mm lower but I don't see having any problems with it. I mean, you can tug at the 8800 and tell it is not coming out.
Old 04-24-2007, 05:05 PM   #4
BryanHarig
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: 8900
Carrier: T-Mobile USA

How is the swivel on the clip? My issue with the 8700 swivel lock holster was that withing 3 months of buying it the swivel had lost its tension and the BB constantly ended up upsidedown and at crazy angles on my belt.
Closed Thread