BlackBerry Forums Support Community

Closed Thread

Old 05-29-2008, 02:12 AM   #1
tuanle
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 8530
PIN: N/A
Carrier: Sprint, Was on Tmo 8320
Default WiFi turns mobile connection off?

Please Login to Remove!

Just got a bb8320 2 weeks ago. I do not have BIM, but I can use the WiFi on my home network just fine. Under "manage connection" I have both Mobile network and Wifi settings "on" the entire time. Under "options\mobile network" I had "network selection" on "automatic."

For some reason, my phone connection turned off a few times - once during a call. The signal strength displayed "sos" and "edge" was changed to "uma."

During my search for a solution, I found T mobile's website describing the "Wifi and Mobile Calling" optional feature as:

"Effortlessly transition between Wi-Fi calling and T-Mobile's wireless network while you talk. Get great coverage at home when used with a T-Mobile HotSpot @Home wireless router Unlimited nationwide calls over Wi-Fi, at home or at any U.S. T-Mobile HotSpot"

I do not subscribe to this "Wifi and Mobile Calling" service, which is $9.99/mo. I'm not sure why the phone is in "confusion" mode and trying to switch back and forth between wifi calling and TMo calling. Does this happen to anyone?

Anyhow, turning off the Wifi and changing the "network selection to "manual" seemed to resolve the problem. I also noticed that the battery life is longer with the wifi off.
Old 05-29-2008, 02:55 AM   #2
BIOHazard87
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9700
PIN: N/A
Carrier: AT&T

When your Wifi UMA signal is too weak, it switches over to EDGE, but a lot of the time this causes a problem and results in a call dropping. I get the same problem. You get free calling when calling using UMA so that is why it prefers that. Also I believe when your phone goes into "SOS" mode, this is when you have too bad of a signal for wifi or EDGE, and the phone goes into an "emergency call only" mode, called SOS. Correct me if I'm wrong on the SOS part though.

Last edited by BIOHazard87; 05-29-2008 at 02:57 AM..
Closed Thread