Closed Thread

Old 11-13-2007, 02:21 AM   #1
wabbit
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: Droid
PIN: PONG???
Carrier: verizon

Please Login to Remove!

Wirelessly posted (8830: Opera/9.50 (J2ME/MIDP; Opera Mini/4.0.9751/204; U; en))

Ok,

I can't take / stand this commercial of how an iphone magically helped a 3 hour delayed flight take off the min the pilot looked at the weather on his phone.

I'm puzzled at the mindless zombies that this is targeted for.

/rant off
Old 11-13-2007, 03:20 AM   #2
BallHawk3
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 9700
Carrier: T-Mobile

Quote:
Originally Posted by wabbit View Post
Wirelessly posted (8830: Opera/9.50 (J2ME/MIDP; Opera Mini/4.0.9751/204; U; en))

Ok,

I can't take / stand this commercial of how an iphone magically helped a 3 hour delayed flight take off the min the pilot looked at the weather on his phone.

/rant off
its not magical, it could happen, its nothing special really what it does, cause stuff has been out like it already. Like the guy who carried a laptop, pda, music player, and phone; wanted one item so got an iphone. LOL. come'on.

But don't get me wrong, I do find their commercials funny and lame.
Old 11-13-2007, 08:07 AM   #3
TBOLTRAM
BlackBerry Genius

Model: 5S
PIN: & Teller
Carrier: Verizon

They are targeting the mindless masses. If people believe in reality TV they will believe anything. lol
Old 11-13-2007, 09:21 AM   #4
ezrunner
EPIC MOD

Model: ZED10
PIN: INK STICK
Carrier: Tmobile

true but think of how many people that were clueless about DATA before the iPhone, they are probably just as clueless about all the cool feature s and applications out their. I think that is whom they are targeting!
Old 11-13-2007, 09:24 AM   #5
JSanders
Crimson Tide Moderator

Model: Z30
PIN: t low

Quote:
Originally Posted by BallHawk3 View Post
its not magical, it could happen, its nothing special really what it does, cause stuff has been out like it already. Like the guy who carried a laptop, pda, music player, and phone; wanted one item so got an iphone. LOL. come'on.
I believe the FAA has some say so in the matter.
Old 11-13-2007, 10:07 AM   #6
teamcrn
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 8320
PIN: ASK ME

you can use your phone on the tarmack. I think apple targets regular people not gadget geeks like ourselfs.

WWW.TheTDGrouponline.com
Old 11-13-2007, 03:10 PM   #7
JSanders
Crimson Tide Moderator

PIN: t low

My comment was that I believe the FAA would have some say so over take off for enroute weather issues.
Old 11-13-2007, 04:02 PM   #8
test54
BlackBerry Master

Model: AAPL
Carrier: is Better than BB :)

Quote:
Originally Posted by teamcrn View Post
you can use your phone on the tarmack. I think apple targets regular people not gadget geeks like ourselfs.
I'll second that. And yes I'm sure the FAA has to give clearance but for the pilot or some passengers it can be helpful to see if the storm has passed. Rather that blindly waiting for the tower / pilot to tell you.
I agree with ez, many many people have never thought about using data on their phones - this is good education for those people, and most of them are not going to be ready to jump into using a BB.

BBAdmin- loooks like more than 8? The expectations are certainly not high in Europe as the market is different and paying 400 for a phone is not common.

Last edited by test54; 11-13-2007 at 04:46 PM..
Old 11-13-2007, 04:39 PM   #9
BBAdmin

Model: .
Carrier: .

I just find it really funny that the iPhone has flopped here. The were no queues anywhere expect the Regents Street Apple store in London where about 8 people were waiting. The biggest retailer selling them (Carphone Warehouse) only shipped 11000 units over the whole weekend!!!

In this country people are used to either paying for a phone and not paying line rental, or paying line rental and getting the phone for free - never both. Apple can keep their under spec'd and over priced kit!!

Old 11-13-2007, 04:52 PM   #10
John Clark
BBF Moderator

PIN: s & needles
Carrier: AT&T

That commercial really doesn't mean a thing. You can depart for an airport with bad weather, you just have to have an alternate airport specified in your flight plan. Sometimes in congested areas like the Northeast, the traffic management units will put gate holds in place and tell airplanes they can't take off due to weather enroute or weather at a specific destination.

That guy works for some airline and has weather and dispatch release information faxed to him for every flight. It just means the dispatcher on duty that day wasn't doing his/her job. He just checked the weather himself (as a good pilot will) and found the weather had improved and spurred his dispatch to get him a new weather packet and dispatch release. Or he did the same with the ground controller...spurred him to call and check the status of the delay for the airport he was going to.

There was no magic there. That pilot stuff always looks fancy to folks who don't know.

Lame commercial.
Old 11-13-2007, 04:58 PM   #11
teamcrn
CrackBerry Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Clark View Post
That commercial really doesn't mean a thing. You can depart for an airport with bad weather, you just have to have an alternate airport specified in your flight plan. Sometimes in congested areas like the Northeast, the traffic management units will put gate holds in place and tell airplanes they can't take off due to weather enroute or weather at a specific destination.

That guy works for some airline and has weather and dispatch release information faxed to him for every flight. It just means the dispatcher on duty that day wasn't doing his/her job. He just checked the weather himself (as a good pilot will) and found the weather had improved and spurred his dispatch to get him a new weather packet and dispatch release. Or he did the same with the ground controller...spurred him to call and check the status of the delay for the airport he was going to.

There was no magic there. That pilot stuff always looks fancy to folks who don't know.

Lame commercial.
I think the point is most comsumers dont know. The commercial is to appeal to the masses which in honesty have to have things dumb down for them to understand. For example look at the many newbies who come on this board who have no clue about what they just brought and ask the same questions over and over again. The rule of thumb is Make it simple stupid. that commercial is marketing at its best and thats the one thing that apple is great at, Marketing and making a cool looking device that has a very simple and user friendly UI.

WWW.TheTDGrouponline.com
Old 11-13-2007, 11:30 PM   #12
TBOLTRAM
BlackBerry Genius

Quote:
I think the point is most comsumers dont know. The commercial is to appeal to the masses which in honesty have to have things dumb down for them to understand. For example look at the many newbies who come on this board who have no clue about what they just brought and ask the same questions over and over again. The rule of thumb is Make it simple stupid. that commercial is marketing at its best and thats the one thing that apple is great at, Marketing and making a cool looking device that has a very simple and user friendly UI.
I think you are saying "mindless masses" but in a more politically correct manner.
Old 11-13-2007, 11:41 PM   #13
Dawg
No longer Registered.

Model: 8330
PIN: 31a6c9c9
Carrier: Verizon BIS

Quote:

Lame commercial.
I knew you would chime in here and clear things up for us.
Old 11-13-2007, 11:56 PM   #14
ezrunner
EPIC MOD

Model: ZED10
PIN: INK STICK

Quote:

Lame commercial.
JC always ruins the fantasy of flight. Why can't you let us believe that pilots are almost god like in their abilities!!! WHYYYYYYYY?
Old 11-14-2007, 01:06 AM   #15
teamcrn
CrackBerry Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by TBOLTRAM View Post
I think you are saying "mindless masses" but in a more politically correct manner.
Mindless masses are the best customers

WWW.TheTDGrouponline.com
Old 11-14-2007, 01:18 AM   #16
TBOLTRAM
BlackBerry Genius

Quote:
Mindless masses are the best customers
Rather scary thought.
Old 11-14-2007, 01:41 AM   #17
BallHawk3
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 9700
Carrier: T-Mobile

You'd be suprised how many people don't realize their phone can play mut for quite some time
Old 11-14-2007, 04:28 AM   #18
TBOLTRAM
BlackBerry Genius

Quote:
Originally Posted by BallHawk3 View Post
You'd be suprised how many people don't realize their phone can play mut for quite some time
What is really scary is that they are driving cars. Be afraid, be very afraid.
Old 11-14-2007, 04:50 AM   #19
MadDog_
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 8310
PIN: Hang on. I'm looking for it!
Carrier: AT&T

Quote:
Originally Posted by wabbit View Post
Wirelessly posted (8830: Opera/9.50 (J2ME/MIDP; Opera Mini/4.0.9751/204; U; en))I can't take / stand this commercial of how an iphone magically helped a 3 hour delayed flight take off the min the pilot looked at the weather on his phone.

Oh, come on, don't be such a skeptic. How do you know it's not true?

After all, didn't they used to have an HP or TI calculator as the back-up computer on the Space Shuttle? How's THAT for a scary thought?

P.S. And it wasn't a minute. It was 30 minutes.

Last edited by MadDog_; 11-14-2007 at 04:51 AM..
Old 11-16-2007, 10:57 PM   #20
wabbit

Model: Droid
PIN: PONG???
Carrier: verizon

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadDog_ View Post
Oh, come on, don't be such a skeptic. How do you know it's not true?

After all, didn't they used to have an HP or TI calculator as the back-up computer on the Space Shuttle? How's THAT for a scary thought?

P.S. And it wasn't a minute. It was 30 minutes.
true or not, its just the way the show it off, this is the only commercial that actually anonys me from iphone, and since i saw it that day like 30 times lead to this thread :P
Closed Thread