Closed Thread

Old 08-26-2007, 03:15 AM   #1
Lowrider
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 8100
Carrier: CBW
Thumbs down Selective Censorship Sucks

Please Login to Remove!

This site censors on post for so called "profanity", even though, VBullentin censors profane words out. They delete post at will, and leave, basically the same kind of language in other "in peoples" post. I realize I'm prolly gonna get banned but....sensorship is WRONG.

Just delete my account, sensorship SUCKS!

Last edited by Lowrider; 08-26-2007 at 03:17 AM..
Old 08-26-2007, 03:41 AM   #2
bauer1979

PIN: N/A
Carrier: T-MOBILE
Thumbs down

How do you really feel?
Old 08-26-2007, 04:03 AM   #3
jibi
BlackBerry God

Model: 8900
Carrier: AT&T

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lowrider View Post
This site censors on post for so called "profanity", even though, VBullentin censors profane words out. They delete post at will, and leave, basically the same kind of language in other "in peoples" post. I realize I'm prolly gonna get banned but....sensorship is WRONG.

Just delete my account, sensorship SUCKS!
People cuss and that's a fact of life. I personally could care less if someone cussed on here, but keeping the site professional and business-friendly are two very important goals of the moderation team. I will be the first to admit that I've cussed now and again on here, although that does not come anywhere close to portraying my use of various cuss words on a daily basis in real life. Regardless, rules are rules ...sometimes you slip up and sometimes we have people who have made it a point to seek out someone and slam them with inappropriate language. I believe that's usually when it becomes an issue.

Also worth noting, we do not monitor every word that is posted to this forum. It's not possible. If someone reports your thread or someone attacks someone with language worthy of a soap-bar breakfast, then action will be taken.

Lastly, in vBulletin's Censorship Options, it defaults to Disabled and has no words listed in the Censored Words field. I've been administering vBulletin forums for almost a decade and not once has vBulletin censored words without being configured to do so.
Old 08-26-2007, 04:21 AM   #4
Lowrider

Quote:
Originally Posted by jibi View Post
People cuss and that's a fact of life. I personally could care less if someone cussed on here, but keeping the site professional and business-friendly are two very important goals of the moderation team. I will be the first to admit that I've cussed now and again on here, although that does not come anywhere close to portraying my use of various cuss words on a daily basis in real life. Regardless, rules are rules ...sometimes you slip up and sometimes we have people who have made it a point to seek out someone and slam them with inappropriate language. I believe that's usually when it becomes an issue.

Also worth noting, we do not monitor every word that is posted to this forum. It's not possible. If someone reports your thread or someone attacks someone with language worthy of a soap-bar breakfast, then action will be taken.

Lastly, in vBulletin's Censorship Options, it defaults to Disabled and has no words listed in the Censored Words field. I've been administering vBulletin forums for almost a decade and not once has vBulletin censored words without being configured to do so.
The problem is not the cursing, it's the SELECTIVE CENSORING, in the same thread too!

btw...I never cursed any way, U won't find the word I said in ANY dictionary. BS

I kow VBulletin has to be configured, I Admin at 2 sites. But I tried a few words and I got "P****", instead of what I really wanted to say.

Last edited by Lowrider; 08-26-2007 at 04:24 AM..
Old 08-26-2007, 05:05 AM   #5
jibi
BlackBerry God

Model: 8900

Tom has enabled the censored words options for obvious reasons. As for you not cursing, I still have access to the post that was deleted. Substituting an 'o' for a 'u' in a certain F-word is certainly cursing in most people's books, not to mention ending that particular sentence with the lengthy B-word. So perhaps your idea of cursing and mine differ slightly? Nothing else posted in that thread by any other member of this forum was inappropriate.

And in all honesty, I will guarantee you that 'selective censorship' does not take place on this forum. Perhaps certain people do something to catch the watchful eye of the moderation team and then it appears that there would be something along those lines going on (macmel, for example). I do not know of a single member of the leadership team who actively gives special treatment to 'preferred' forum members - simply put, there's no such status on this forum.

Last edited by jibi; 08-26-2007 at 05:08 AM..
Old 08-26-2007, 08:00 AM   #6
NJBlackBerry
Grumpy Moderator

Model: SGS7
Carrier: Verizon

And selective sensorship is truly an awful thing. Those sensors are everywhere.
Old 08-26-2007, 08:09 AM   #7
JSanders
Crimson Tide Moderator

Model: Z30
PIN: t low

Low, since you chose to take this public (I sent you a very polite warning, which means very little and next to nothing). Take my PM as it was intended, as a friendly warning. Your response to this now and your accusation fo "selective sensorship" says more than I can.

Enjoy the forums, you are welcome here.
Old 08-26-2007, 08:09 AM   #8
aiharkness
BlackBerry God

Model: BBPP
Carrier: T-Mobile USA

Yeah, I deal with sensors, too. When they are erratic, it sure is a pain in the rear. ........ Too funny.

EDIT: Second thoughts....Sorry to make light, Low.............the word play pushed my funny button.

Last edited by aiharkness; 08-26-2007 at 08:12 AM..
Old 08-26-2007, 08:10 AM   #9
Lowrider

Quote:
Originally Posted by jibi View Post
Tom has enabled the censored words options for obvious reasons. As for you not cursing, I still have access to the post that was deleted. Substituting an 'o' for a 'u' in a certain F-word is certainly cursing in most people's books, not to mention ending that particular sentence with the lengthy B-word. So perhaps your idea of cursing and mine differ slightly? Nothing else posted in that thread by any other member of this forum was inappropriate.

And in all honesty, I will guarantee you that 'selective censorship' does not take place on this forum. Perhaps certain people do something to catch the watchful eye of the moderation team and then it appears that there would be something along those lines going on (macmel, for example). I do not know of a single member of the leadership team who actively gives special treatment to 'preferred' forum members - simply put, there's no such status on this forum.
So, piss isn't bad, but fo** is? bs
Old 08-26-2007, 08:12 AM   #10
JSanders
Crimson Tide Moderator

Lowrider, why not just try all the words you want, and see what gets you banned.

Or use good judgement and don't.

Your choice.
Old 08-26-2007, 08:15 AM   #11
Lowrider

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSanders View Post
Low, since you chose to take this public (I sent you a very polite warning, which means very little and next to nothing). Take my PM as it was intended, as a friendly warning. Your response to this now and your accusation fo "selective sensorship" says more than I can.

Enjoy the forums, you are welcome here.
This is my final post on this subject.

I don't mind the PM, it's the deletion of my whole post. That is selective censorship!
CLOSE THIS IF U WANT, i WON'T LOOK AT THIS AGAIN, SO ANOTHER RESPONSE IS LIKE TALKING TO THE WALL!
Old 08-26-2007, 08:17 AM   #12
JSanders
Crimson Tide Moderator

Good.

x2.
Old 08-26-2007, 08:22 AM   #13
Dawg
No longer Registered.

Model: 8330
PIN: 31a6c9c9
Carrier: Verizon BIS

awww someone got there feelings hurts
Old 08-26-2007, 09:47 AM   #14
roofus
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: PassP
Carrier: Bell

Censorship does produce some amusing results though.

My wife works for a large international NGO and my emails to her get censored all the time. For example as a hobby we raise purebred bull terriers. There is a proper name for female dogs . . . the b word. Try and use that perfectly proper word to refer to a girl dog and it's gets caught in there severs filters all the time. You can't even use it on some dog fancier forums!!! There are other examples as well, but they escape me at this time.
Old 08-26-2007, 10:21 AM   #15
dc/dc
Spam Reporter

Model: 6230
Carrier: Voicestream

Wow. It sounds like this place just might be better off without you.
Old 08-26-2007, 12:07 PM   #16
LunkHead
BlackBerry God

Model: 850
PIN: kie swear
Carrier: USPS Priority

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lowrider View Post
CLOSE THIS IF U WANT, i WON'T LOOK AT THIS AGAIN, SO ANOTHER RESPONSE IS LIKE TALKING TO THE WALL!
I want a new law....

Anyone who post here will talk to the wall....
Old 08-26-2007, 12:09 PM   #17
LunkHead
BlackBerry God

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA... Who gave Beastie an iPhone???? Oh...... SD......
Old 08-26-2007, 12:40 PM   #18
dc/dc
Spam Reporter

Model: 6230
Carrier: Voicestream

Quote:
Originally Posted by LunkHead View Post
HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA... Who gave Beastie an iPhone???? Oh...... SD......
HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!!!!!!
Old 08-26-2007, 12:41 PM   #19
LunkHead
BlackBerry God

I shot soda out my nose when I noticed it.....

They (I have my suspects identified) are all over Beastie like a hobo on a chicken salad sandwich!
Old 08-26-2007, 01:23 PM   #20
John Clark
BBF Moderator

PIN: s & needles

Love it Love Love it!!! The avatar, that is!

sorry, back on topic....
Closed Thread