Closed Thread

Old 10-28-2006, 01:10 AM   #1
steveo92283
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 8100
Carrier: tmobile
Default Automatic Dim

Please Login to Remove!

I know this has been discussed tons of times, but I cant find my answer...

Originally I had it already off, until I did that udpate for the phone and that particular setting is now gone.

I read all the directions, not only from her, but from the "help" menu on the phone, and Im not sure if Im blind or maybe the software is different.... but does anyone know why in the options/screen/keyboard screen, there is no option for "automatic backlight" on my phone. Im no dummy to my phones setting and how the whole entire phone works but I seriously can not find it....

Anyone knows what happened?

Thanks in advance...
Old 10-28-2006, 01:13 AM   #2
ktorres1120

Model: 8100c
Carrier: AT&T

If you changed to the Rogers OS, then that feature is now gone. Sorry, you will have to change back to the original Tmobile OS.
Old 10-28-2006, 01:16 AM   #3
steveo92283

I cant have both????????!!!

Wait, then why does it say it in the help software on my phone???
Old 10-28-2006, 02:25 AM   #4
SanFrancisco
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: 9700
PIN: HEAD
Carrier: T-Mobile

Quote:
Originally Posted by steveo92283
I cant have both????????!!!

Wait, then why does it say it in the help software on my phone???
I posted this before....

The Rogers manual provides directions on turning the auto-dim feature off, but the phone does not have it on the menu/settings.

So I declared that because auto-dim off is mentioned in the manual, but it is missing on the phone, that such is a bug in the Rogers/RIM OS. Either that or RIM did not bother updating the manual to reflect that the feature was now gone.

It's been talked about over the past month in the threads that when you install the Roger's OS you lose the ability to turn auto-dim off.

I posted that for me such was a deal breaker on installing the Rogers OS because I don't like the auto-dim feature and turning it off is important for me.

Last edited by SanFrancisco; 10-28-2006 at 02:28 AM..
Old 10-28-2006, 03:31 AM   #5
steveo92283

if people would learn to just answer one question most forums wouldnt be so cluttered with useless information. I looked alot more than you think and read alot of junk that didnt answer my question.. Me, being somewhat lazy, dont care about searching and searching... so I just asked. ALOT more efficient....

Thanks for the information though.
Old 10-28-2006, 03:45 AM   #6
SanFrancisco

Quote:
if people would learn to just answer one question most forums wouldnt be so cluttered with useless information. I looked alot more than you think and read alot of junk that didnt answer my question.. Me, being somewhat lazy, dont care about searching and searching... so I just asked. ALOT more efficient....

Thanks for the information though.
Well you must be really, really lazy and something else, because a simple search term of "auto dim" turned up lots of info.

Maybe you meant that you did not use the Forum's search feature, in which case I suggest you do. With it you don't have to look through what you call "useless information."

Last edited by SanFrancisco; 10-28-2006 at 10:22 AM..
Old 10-28-2006, 03:47 AM   #7
steveo92283

I did that update for the trackball ringer silencing problem. Can you please tell me how to unistall and go back the original because to me having it not dim is more important to me too than the phone silencing when it rings.... Hopefully we can have both fixed one day...

Thanks.
Old 10-28-2006, 03:49 AM   #8
SanFrancisco

Quote:
I did that update for the trackball ringer silencing problem. Can you please tell me how to unistall and go back the original because to me having it not dim is more important to me too than the phone silencing when it rings.... Hopefully we can have both fixed one day...

Thanks.
Sorry, I don't have time to type useless information. Maybe someone else won't be as lazy as I am. Good luck in your search.
Old 10-28-2006, 03:55 AM   #9
steveo92283

Quote:
Originally Posted by SanFrancisco
Sorry, I don't have time to type useless information. Maybe someone else won't be as lazy as I am. Good luck in your search.
Just so where clear, I used the search this forum and already did what you said to do...... I said I was lazy, not stupid....
Old 10-28-2006, 07:23 AM   #10
ejmccartin
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 8900

the way we have moved off topic here makes this feels appropriate:

How many BB forum members does it take to change a light bulb?

1 to change the light bulb and 1 to post that the light bulb has been changed

14 to share similar experiences of changing light bulbs and how the light bulb could have been changed differently

7 to caution about the dangers of changing light bulbs

27 to point out spelling/grammar errors in posts about changing light bulbs

53 to flame the spell checkers

41 to correct spelling/grammar flames

6 to argue over whether it's "lightbulb" or "light bulb"

... another 6 to condemn those 6 as anal-retentive

2 industry professionals to inform the group that the proper term is "lamp"

15 know-it-alls who claim *they* were in the industry, and that "light bulb" is perfectly correct

156 to email the participant' s ISPs complaining that they are in violation of their "acceptable use policy"

109 to post that this forum is not about light bulbs and to please take this discussion to a lightbulb forum

203 to demand that cross posting to hardware forum, off-topic forum, and lightbulb forum about changing light bulbs be stopped

111 to defend the posting to this forum saying that we all use light bulbs and therefore the posts *are* relevant to this forum

306 to debate which method of changing light bulbs is superior, where to buy the best light bulbs, what brand of light bulbs work best for this technique and what brands are faulty

27 to post URL's where one can see examples of different light bulbs

14 to post that the URL's were posted incorrectly and then post the corrected URL's

3 to post about links they found from the URL's that are relevant to this group which makes light bulbs relevant to this group

33 to link all posts to date, quote them in their entirety including all headers and signatures, and add "Me too"

12 to post to the group that they will no longer post because they cannot handle the light bulb controversy

19 to quote the "Me too's" to say "Me three"

4 to suggest that posters request the light bulb FAQ

44 to ask what is a "FAQ"

4 to say "didn't we go through this already a short time ago?"

143 to say "do a Google search on light bulbs before posting questions about light bulbs"

1 new forum member to respond to the original post 6 months from now and start it all over again
Old 10-28-2006, 10:24 AM   #11
SanFrancisco

Quote:
Originally Posted by ejmccartin
the way we have moved off topic here makes this feels appropriate:

How many BB forum members does it take to change a light bulb?

Those are all funny, refreshing, and true.
Old 10-31-2006, 12:09 PM   #12
Jack4378

Carrier: Blackberry

Hi

I just got a Pearl form T-Mobile UK and the menu option is missing for automatic backlighting.

I called T-Mobile but they had no idea what I was referring to.

I called RIM UK and they said my phone was faulty. (?)

I got a new Pearl today from T-Mobile and STILL no option to turn off automatic backlighting (which I knew would be the case).

T-Mobile UK uses v4.2.0.51 OS.

If anyone has any new ideas I would be grateful for the help to get back the option to turn off this annoying feature.

Jack
Old 10-31-2006, 12:12 PM   #13
ejmccartin

it isn't an option in that version of the software. only in ver 4.2.0.42 that was issued in the US.
Old 10-31-2006, 12:16 PM   #14
Jack4378

Carrier: Blackberry

thanks for the quick reply.

I have left another message for the RIM UK tech to see what she says now that I have a new handset and still no option.

I don't know why they disabled it in the first place; maybe there are battery life issues if it's bright all the time.

Then again, I'd rather have shorter battery life rather than squinting in the dark.

Jack
Old 10-31-2006, 12:19 PM   #15
ejmccartin

seems like there should be a link around here somewhere to "downgrade" your OS to the US version if you really want to. it isn't a deal breaker for me to lose the option, it is for others. the .42 ver has other issues so be forewarned.
Old 10-31-2006, 12:23 PM   #16
NJBlackBerry
Grumpy Moderator

Model: SGS7
Carrier: Verizon

If it is truly dark, I never have problem with the auto dim.

As much as I disagree with RIM removing the disabling of the auto dim feature, it really doesn't nearly cause me as many problems as the trackball silencing the ringer when locked, or a few of the other bugs...

Just my .02...
Old 10-31-2006, 03:26 PM   #17
majorxp
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9800
Carrier: AT&T

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJBlackBerry
If it is truly dark, I never have problem with the auto dim.

As much as I disagree with RIM removing the disabling of the auto dim feature, it really doesn't nearly cause me as many problems as the trackball silencing the ringer when locked, or a few of the other bugs...

Just my .02...
me too.

(sorry had to)
Old 10-31-2006, 03:52 PM   #18
SanFrancisco

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack4378
thanks for the quick reply.

I have left another message for the RIM UK tech to see what she says now that I have a new handset and still no option.

I don't know why they disabled it in the first place; maybe there are battery life issues if it's bright all the time.

Then again, I'd rather have shorter battery life rather than squinting in the dark.

Jack
It's a tradeoff, lose auto-dim "off" ability in return for other fixes. There are people whom have discovered that they lost auto-dim-off ability and they go back to the old OS. There are others whom do not consider turning auto-dim off is all that important.

I believe you can wipe [hard reset] the phone and simply install the T-Mo U.S. operating system.

It's as simple as going to the "wipe handheld" option on your Pearl, wiping the phone, and then installing the T-Mo U.S. operating system.

Personally, I am waiting for T-Mo U.S. to come up with a patch to fix the trackball issue because I do not like auto-dim on all the time.
Old 10-31-2006, 04:00 PM   #19
NJBlackBerry
Grumpy Moderator

Model: SGS7
Carrier: Verizon

You are assuming that T-Mobile is going to have a different version than one of the ones out there - with the auto-dim disable function back, correct?
Old 10-31-2006, 04:11 PM   #20
ejmccartin

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJBlackBerry
You are assuming that T-Mobile is going to have a different version than one of the ones out there - with the auto-dim disable function back, correct?
we can only hope. the auto-dim is annoying. T-Mo are you listening??
Closed Thread