BlackBerry Forums Support Community

Closed Thread

Old 12-04-2006, 05:16 PM   #1
ncasca

Model: 8703e
Carrier: Verizon
Default 8703e FREEZING AND RANDOM RESTARTING ISSUES

Please Login to Remove!

Okay, I just received my SECOND 8703e in the mail today from Verizon as a replacement for my first, which i was having the following problem with:

Random Freezing - it would only freeze briefly before the screen would go white and then the hourglass appears while the whole unit restarts itself. I posted something on this site before about this issue, and the general consensus was that i was just unlucky and was one of the small percentage of BB owners who received a defective device...

No real 3rd party Apps, except one Magmic game (KaGlom) and Google Maps.

However, now that i have my new device, the only thing i have done to it is Sync it with my Outlook to get all my info on it. the very next thing i went to do was goto this website - which i found on BB Forums
(knology.net/~acidmax/blackberry/8700_today/8700_dimension_zen.jad)
to install/or unlock, or whatever it's doing to have the Zen theme downloaded on my phone....

and then it did the restarting thing again.... i have seriously had this 2nd phone for an hour or two TOPS - the only things i have done, like i said, are Sync my info, and try to get the Zen theme on - via the site referenced above.

CAN ANYONE HELP ME!!! please let me know if anyone has any idea what's going on... the logical thought would be that there's something about this Zen theme that's causing this problem... but i didnt even get the Zen theme installed this time, i only typed the address into my BB Internet Browser and hit "enter" then it froze and restarted... before the theme even downloaded...

so that's logic - on the other hand, I'VE HAD VERY BAD LUCK WITH MY PHONES!!:

-Treo 600 when it came out, replaced only once before getting the
-Treo 650 when it came out, replaced three times before getting the
-Samsung i730 (windows slider) only had one of those, swapped to the
-Treo 700w the very day it came out - replaced this one atleast 5 times before getting a free upgrade from Verizon to
-BB 8703e and this is my second one.

so perhaps i am doomed to a never ending saga of defective phones... or perhaps someone can provide me some kind of insight as to why my Blackberry is restarting randomly... or am i going to just live without my PRESCIOUS Zen theme!?!? but i've also noticed, with the First blackberry... the restarting typically happened when i was typing a lot of text messages in a convorsation... or when i was typing a really long e-mail... never seemed to happen while playing games or on the browser...other times it would just do it randomly when the phone is sitting untouched next to me on my desk...

HELP!!!!! sorry for the long rambling post... hopefully it makes sense to someone, and hopefully that someone has answers!!
Old 12-04-2006, 09:07 PM   #2
tbdiscovery
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Carrier: Sprint

I have had my phone for almost a month and the only time I experienced the hour glass and restart was trying to get GPS to work in bbmaps. I have to admit that it freezes more than I would like, but I push a lot of e-mail, sms , try several new apps at once to pick the one I like best, and just use the damn thing too much.

Basically, mine freezes a bit too, but rarely crashes.

Last edited by tbdiscovery; 12-04-2006 at 09:11 PM..
Old 12-04-2006, 09:18 PM   #3
NJBlackBerry
Grumpy Moderator

Model: SGS7

Does it work without the (precious) Zen theme?
Old 12-04-2006, 09:19 PM   #4
tbdiscovery
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

I downloaded the zen theme but it bored me. I couldn't answer that. I am a smoothie zen type.
Old 12-05-2006, 01:52 PM   #5
ncasca

Thanks for the responses so far... but remember i mentioned that it first did the restart before i even had the Zen theme on the phone... i had only typed in the link into the browser and it froze up before i could even confirm to access that site.

so yes, it does do it without the Zen theme... but i just can't believe that i am 2 for 2 on defective Blackberries and with the same problem.... someone??
Old 12-06-2006, 07:56 PM   #6
bcj

Model: 8700c

I have this problem too on Sprint.
Old 12-07-2006, 01:38 PM   #7
osbornem

Carrier: sprint

my screen just goes completely white about once a week....no hourglass or anything like that...just frozen in white...I have to power off then power back up and everything works fine. sometimes it does that when i pull it out of the holster. no idea what that is all about
Old 12-07-2006, 05:09 PM   #8
MrSanc8
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8330
PIN: Head
Question Woa...

[QUOTE=ncasca]Okay, I just received my SECOND 8703e in the mail today from Verizon as a replacement for my first, which i was having the following problem with:

Random Freezing - it would only freeze briefly before the screen would go white and then the hourglass appears while the whole unit restarts itself.....

Woa....

That has happened to me twice already. The second time recently happened about 2 hours ago.

Man, I'm glad I found your post. I'm not going delusional.

I will stick around and see what other users have to say. And if my problem persists, I will call Sprint and get mine replaced.
Old 12-07-2006, 05:12 PM   #9
MrSanc8
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8330
PIN: Head
Question Same thing on my Sprint 8703e

Quote:
Originally Posted by ncasca
Okay, I just received my SECOND 8703e in the mail today from Verizon as a replacement for my first, which i was having the following problem with:

Random Freezing - it would only freeze briefly before the screen would go white and then the hourglass appears while the whole unit restarts itself.
Woa....

That has happened to me twice already. The second time recently happened about 2 hours ago.

Man, I'm glad I found your post. I'm not going delusional.

I will stick around and see what other users have to say. And if my problem persists, I will call Sprint and get mine replaced.
Old 12-07-2006, 07:08 PM   #10
southbayyouth
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Mine does has done it three times since i got the phone (two weeks ago). All three times I forgot go to put the keyboard lock on before putting the phone in my pocket of my pants (I wear tight fitting pants). So I think all the buttons being pushed at the same time non=stop causes it for me. It's still a pain. I can't even power off, i have to take the battery out and then put the battery back in.
Old 12-07-2006, 07:14 PM   #11
LunkHead
BlackBerry God

Model: 850
PIN: kie swear
Carrier: USPS Priority

Has anyone tried a wipe or javaloader and reload OS to see if that solves the issue?
Old 12-08-2006, 10:23 AM   #12
crackberryuser

Model: 8730e

MYy 8703 had the same white screen error....except it also came up with a JVM 535 error....did a wipe and reload...did a complete erase and reload OS....now its on its way back to the rep i bought it from for a replacement....there seems to be a bug in these new 8703e...thinking about reverting back to the good ol' 7100series...
Closed Thread