BlackBerry Forums Support Community

Closed Thread

Old 03-06-2009, 09:43 PM   #1
kb9ysc

Model: 8830
PIN: N/A
Carrier: Verizon
Default Blackberry 8830 OS 4.5 Missing Sync Issues?

Please Login to Remove!

Hello,

I am on verizon and am currently using 4.2.2.196, and up till now have been very satisfied with Missing Sync 1.0.3. I have seen the reports of the 4.5 firmware for the 8830 available on the web, and have tried them twice. However, once I update the device to OS 4.5, syncing screeches to a halt, and it throws things out of sync. Part of it may be due to the CICAL entries, but I deleted that to try to get it to sync, and it still wouldn't sync. Each time I've upgraded I've been forced back to 4.2.2.196 reluctantly. I like the additional features that it provides. (In fact, I'd been thinking I would like to have a voice recorder of some sort even before I knew 4.5 had it).

So at this point I have a solution that works. I am using Blackberry OS 4.2.2.196 with Missing Sync 1.0.3, and it syncs well. I am using OSX 10.5.6. I would like to go to Blackberry OS 4.5, but since every attempt that I have made has resulted in failure, I am looking to see if anyone has managed to find out what the issue is, and a resolution for it. I'm not opposed to switching to a different sync engine, I just need the contacts, the calendar and the todo list to sync with iCal and Address Book. Beyond that, I am forgiving, but I have realized that it is just too important for me to not be able to sync those three items.

So, does anyone have any ideas? Am I the only one who's having this issue?

Edit: I had tried the MS 2.0 beta, but that didn't help either.

Last edited by kb9ysc; 03-06-2009 at 09:57 PM..
Old 03-08-2009, 02:26 PM   #2
larryw
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 9530
Carrier: VZ

I found the first time I did a sync after the update, I had to Overwrite the Blackberry Calendar (Click the Settings button). Another option is to do a Backup and Restore of iCal; that forces a rebuild of the links, etc.

I'm running all the same stuff as you and syncing is fine for me now.
Old 03-24-2009, 09:58 PM   #3
amd93103

Model: 8330

Quote:
Originally Posted by larryw View Post
I found the first time I did a sync after the update, I had to Overwrite the Blackberry Calendar (Click the Settings button). Another option is to do a Backup and Restore of iCal; that forces a rebuild of the links.
Did both to no avail. iCal and BB don't sync, either way. Any thoughts? I am in the SAME EXACT situation as the original poster.... 10.5.6, RIM v.4.5 etc. Please help?!

Last edited by amd93103; 03-24-2009 at 09:59 PM.. Reason: more info
Old 03-24-2009, 10:03 PM   #4
amd93103

BTW, Missing Sync Reads, then Updates all the entries on the device from iCal during each "supposed" sync operation. Apparently, no information is swapped though.
Old 03-26-2009, 09:21 AM   #5
amd93103

Support Ticket submitted to Mark/Space on 25 Mar 2009 05:04 PM:
Quote:
I am on a Verizon Curve which I just updated from 4.2.2 to 4.5.0. I have experienced syncing issues while on the older BB OS but have always resolved them quickly with the help or your tech section.

After the BB OS update, Calendar Syncing (only) with M/S (1.0.3) is now inoperable. I do not receive errors during the process but performed a reset of Sync Services (per your tech section) anyway and followed up the process by Overwriting Device Contents on Next Sync. No change in results.

I have 721 events in a 24 month period. During the sync process, the progress bar in M/S shows: Reading changes from Desktop: Add 721 Delete: 0 Modify: 0, each time I attempt; and Updating the device. Record xxx of 721.

I see no CICAL record in the BB Service Books and I only have one email associated with the device.
We'll see if they respond to this one. They deleted a request of mine about four months back.
Old 03-28-2009, 04:58 PM   #6
ArgonNJ
No longer Registered.

Model: WP7
Carrier: AT&T

Sad fact of life is there is simply no reliable way to sync your BB to your Mac. Missing Sync and Pocket Mac both suck. I gave up and don't use anything.
Old 03-28-2009, 10:13 PM   #7
amd93103

I spent three hours today and got everything to work really well with BusySync and Google Calendars/Google Sync while utilizing Address Book/A to G and Google Sync for contacts. Just what I wanted to spend my Saturday morning doing.

M/S is ****ing waste of time.
Old 03-28-2009, 11:53 PM   #8
ArgonNJ
No longer Registered.

Quote:
Originally Posted by amd93103 View Post
I spent three hours today and got everything to work really well with BusySync and Google Calendars/Google Sync while utilizing Address Book/A to G and Google Sync for contacts. Just what I wanted to spend my Saturday morning doing.

M/S is ****ing waste of time.
Just think, if you had an iphone all you would have had to do was dock the unit and it would have done it in 2 minutes. Syncing shouldn't be that difficult. RIM has a long way to go if they want to move into the future.
Old 03-29-2009, 09:53 AM   #9
amd93103

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArgonNJ View Post
Just think, if you had an iphone all you would have had to do was dock the unit and it would have done it in 2 minutes. Syncing shouldn't be that difficult.
Don't think that idea has not crossed my mind more than a few times while pounding my head against the wall. even considered walking around with a Touch but didn't want a device in each pocket. The biggest thing that has kept me from switching over to AT&T has been the conversations I have with my friends on that network. In my area, it's garbage. I am a contractor, bouncing around in the foothills every day, talking about 1200 minutes a month. The iPhone would look great and play pretty but the Verizon network keeps the calls coming in clear. Harsh reality.

Quote:
RIM has a long way to go if they want to move into the future.
I am only holding my breath....
Old 03-29-2009, 10:24 AM   #10
ArgonNJ
No longer Registered.

Quote:
Originally Posted by amd93103 View Post
Don't think that idea has not crossed my mind more than a few times while pounding my head against the wall. even considered walking around with a Touch but didn't want a device in each pocket. The biggest thing that has kept me from switching over to AT&T has been the conversations I have with my friends on that network. In my area, it's garbage. I am a contractor, bouncing around in the foothills every day, talking about 1200 minutes a month. The iPhone would look great and play pretty but the Verizon network keeps the calls coming in clear. Harsh reality.

I am only holding my breath....
Yeah, if AT&T sucks in your area, then it doesn't matter how great the device is. Quality of the network in your area is the #1 consideration.
Old 03-29-2009, 05:10 PM   #11
larryw

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArgonNJ View Post
Just think, if you had an iphone all you would have had to do was dock the unit and it would have done it in 2 minutes.
A buddy with an iPhone and Mac would beg to differ. iPhone sync issues on Macs are well documented and easily googled.

If you're still having problems, try clearing the calendars from the BB first. You may also have some problems created when Apple made the MobileMe switch (and killed iSync); look at the iPhone sync problems for some suggestions on how to correct (they use the same pipelines, etc.).
Old 03-29-2009, 08:39 PM   #12
ArgonNJ
No longer Registered.

Quote:
A buddy with an iPhone and Mac would beg to differ. iPhone sync issues on Macs are well documented and easily googled.

If you're still having problems, try clearing the calendars from the BB first. You may also have some problems created when Apple made the MobileMe switch (and killed iSync); look at the iPhone sync problems for some suggestions on how to correct (they use the same pipelines, etc.).
I don't know what you are talking about. I had a iphone for a while and never had any problem syncing with the mac. Maybe he was using mobile me, I don't know, but a straight iphone to mac sync is the simplest thing possible.
Old 03-30-2009, 02:36 PM   #13
larryw

Apple changed the architecture of SyncServices in 10.5.6 and renamed it MobileMe. So, if you try to open iSync on a 10.5.6 machine, it tells you the application is not supported. Doing this created all kinds of havoc for EVERYONE who uses SyncServices; this includes iTunes and MissingSync.

I'm glad you didn't have any problems during your brief foray with the iPhone; my buddy is stuck with one and still can't get his calendar into his device without it duplicating every entry everytime he syncs via USB. But his contract with ATT is up about the time the 9630 hits VZW, so he'll be upgrading soon.

Last edited by larryw; 03-30-2009 at 02:38 PM.. Reason: typo
Old 03-31-2009, 10:23 AM   #14
ArgonNJ
No longer Registered.

Quote:
Apple changed the architecture of SyncServices in 10.5.6 and renamed it MobileMe. So, if you try to open iSync on a 10.5.6 machine, it tells you the application is not supported. Doing this created all kinds of havoc for EVERYONE who uses SyncServices; this includes iTunes and MissingSync.

I'm glad you didn't have any problems during your brief foray with the iPhone; my buddy is stuck with one and still can't get his calendar into his device without it duplicating every entry everytime he syncs via USB. But his contract with ATT is up about the time the 9630 hits VZW, so he'll be upgrading soon.
Hope he has good luck with that. Blackberry's and Mac don't go well together as he will soon find out.
Closed Thread