BlackBerry Forums Support Community

Closed Thread

Old 11-13-2006, 11:10 PM   #1
PaulQ
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 9550
Carrier: Verizon
Exclamation BE AWARE: T-Mo cheated me on my plan when I bought the Pearl!

Please Login to Remove!

I got nailed with messaging charges on my first bill! I am vigilant when it comes to picking plans but I guess I needed to be hypervigilant! I am writing a letter to T-Mobile to try and get my money back. Here is an excerpt. Hopefully it will spur new Pearl buyers to check those bills VERY carefully...

-------------------begin letter

In summary, I was sold the wrong plan twice which resulted in over $20 in messaging charges before I was able to realize the mistake.

I will breakdown the series of events here. On September 20, 2006, I went to your Phoenix store (8495) to purchase a Blackberry Pearl and upgrade my plan accordingly. I had researched the plans in advance. I specifically told the representative that I wanted the Enterprise service because I wanted to connect with my university’s exchange server. I was surprised when the representative told me I couldn’t do this because I was not a business customer. I was disappointed but went ahead and got what I thought was the Blackberry Minutes & Mail plan. As we set up the account, I also specifically asked if I would receive unlimited text messaging and he confirmed this.

I don’t clearly remember how this next part came about but it was soon after I purchased the phone. During a call to T-Mobile, I was told that I could be on the Enterprise plan. I was told there was no restriction and that the representative at the store was wrong. I immediately requested the change. I assumed I was being put on the Blackberry Minutes & Mail Enterprise plan for $69.99 – a natural upgrade from what I thought I was on. I even confirmed that there would be a $10/month increase. After the call, I do remember going to the T-Mobile web site to look at the details of the plan to make sure it included unlimited text messaging.

Later in October, I checked on “My T-Mobile” to make sure everything was in order. It said my plan charges were $69.97. I didn’t pick up on the two cent difference until I recently noticed the messaging charge on my bill.

I looked up my bill today and it was $104.67! I was shocked! I learned I had been charged for $20 of text messaging! I called customer service and explained the entire situation. After reviewing the details, I was told that I had been given a “Blackberry Add-On” to my old voice plan and not the Blackberry Minutes & Mail plan. I was told that nothing could be done about the charges because I had no proof that I requested the Blackberry Minutes & Mail plan. I still have no idea what form that proof would be in? An audio tape of our transaction? I was very frustrated. I instructed the agent to switch me over to the correct plan immediately and he did. He actually offered me bonus messages or minutes but they were of little value since I never exceed my minutes and my messages are now free.

There are two differences between the plan I was put on when I bought the phone and the plan I am now on: (1) unlimited messaging and (2) two cents. If I had been given the correct information at the store, there is no way I would have chosen the add-on approach. I would be a fool to do so when, for two cents more, I get unlimited messaging. I am also puzzled as to why no one ever pointed this out to me.

I still really like T-Mobile. One hiccup isn't going to change that. We'll see if they provide the credit.

Last edited by PaulQ; 11-14-2006 at 12:07 AM..
Old 11-13-2006, 11:46 PM   #2
SanFrancisco
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: 9700
PIN: HEAD
Carrier: T-Mobile

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulQ
I got nailed with messaging charges on my first bill! I am vigilant when it comes to picking plans but I guess I needed to be hypervigilant! I am writing a letter to T-Mobile to try and get my money back. Here is an excerpt. Hopefully it will spur new Pearl buyers to check those bills VERY carefully...

I don't think it's accurate to say that T-Mo cheated you. That's pretty harsh since all that occurred is some miscommunication.

Rather than a letter, just dial 611 and ask for a supervisor. Calmly explain what happened, do not make threats and request a credit. They will give it to you.

I assure you T-Mo is not concerned about your $20 and they are not in the business of cheating people. The person who said they would not give you the $20 credit is just a low level CSR who gave you the "form" answer. I can assure you that a supervisor would see this is making you unhappy and he or she will fix the problem.

In a motorcycle race forum I belong to a member posted that his daughter had run up $600 in text messaging charges. [they were new to T-Mo and the daughter thought text messaging was free or included in the plan].

I advised that he have his wife call T-Mo, explain the situation and ask for a credit [I suggested she call because he was rough around the edges, a guy, and because women just sound better when trying to fix a problem].

The T-Mo supervisor said he understood how such things could happen and while they were talking he removed the $600 from the bill.

So give em a call. But ask for a supervisor. Make sure you are nice, don't mention the word "cheat" and ask for the credit.
Old 11-13-2006, 11:55 PM   #3
heavenlypennies
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 8100
Default I REALLY hate having to tell you this...

I hate to hear that this happened to you! And I REALLY hate having to tell you this, but I had something similar happen to me. Not when I upgraded to the Pearl, but when I upgraded to a family plan... Long story short, I got hit with over minutes charges because I thought I was getting conditional forward, my phone was set to unconditional (not good if you want to get mo to mo min). Anyways, it took 2 months before my plan was put right and the overages I was charged in the mean time? Customer support basically said there was nothing they could do... except offer me bonus min (like I need that now???)

And yes, I wrote them a well written, thoroughly persuasive letter (I'm a grad student studying English - so yes - it was a good letter) and still - NADA. All I could do was suck up the charges and move on.

I REALLY hope this works out for you - but I'm just telling you this in hopes of saving you a MAJOR headache. Pay the charge and just make sure your plan is good next month.

(Oh, and if you are still going to send that letter to t-mobile, take out words like "I thought" and "I assumed" they'll immediately throw it out for that. You want to show how this was an error on their fault for giving you the wrong info. - Good Luck!)

(BTW - to the post earlier - I'm super glad to hear there are still people at T-Mobile who care... believe me, I like t-mobile and don't want to bash them by any means... but the misinformation I received when my problem occurred? I DID request a supervisor! 4 TIMES! And still it took 2 months before anyone figured out what was wrong. And I DID ask for a supervisor BEFORE I wrote any letter. I was very professional and never accused them of anything other than a few employees giving the wrong info...) so yes, you can talk to a supervisor - but it may truly end up more of a headache then it is worth).

Last edited by heavenlypennies; 11-14-2006 at 12:04 AM..
Old 11-14-2006, 12:00 AM   #4
PaulQ

Thanks for the advice.

I am very patient and friendly with those guys. I remained so even after he told me he couldn't make the adjustment. I am not a fan of getting nasty to customer service.

He did actually poke around in my account and I thought he was just going to reverse it. After a few minutes, he came back with the 'no'.

I do think there plans are, at best, misleading. I mean, they have two routes to Blackberry Enterprise plans. One can screw you over with messaging charges and the other doesn't. Two cent difference. They must know this and none of the people I encountered along the way suggested the unlimited route. I am a little irked by that because it seems like a tricky way to charge messaging fees.

Last edited by PaulQ; 11-14-2006 at 12:09 AM..
Old 11-14-2006, 12:05 AM   #5
PaulQ

Quote:
Originally Posted by heavenlypennies
I REALLY hope this works out for you - but I'm just telling you this in hopes of saving you a MAJOR headache. Pay the charge and just make sure your plan is good next month.

(Oh, and if you are still going to send that letter to t-mobile, take out words like "I thought" and "I assumed" they'll immediately throw it out for that. You want to show how this was an error on their fault for giving you the wrong info. - Good Luck!)

Wow.... Thanks for this too! It sounds like you were REALLY nailed!

I am going to send the letter (since it's already written) and that's it. If they don't do anything, I have the satisfaction that I tried!
Old 11-14-2006, 12:09 AM   #6
noeffectx
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 8320
PIN: 123456
Carrier: T-mobile

next time add 14.99 for unlimited txt on your plan.

http://www.flickr.com/groups/blackberry/
Old 11-14-2006, 12:13 AM   #7
PaulQ

Quote:
Originally Posted by noeffectx
next time add 14.99 for unlimited txt on your plan.

Not necessary. The "Blackberry Minutes & Mail" plan (enterprise or not) includes unlimited text messaging all for $69.99/month. If you do the "Blackberry ADD-ON" to a $39.99 monthly plan, your service is $69.97/month but you don't get the unlimited messages. You could add them for $14.99 but then you are paying more than the Blackberry Minutes & Mail.

Tricky tricky.

It was great when the CSR was suprised and said "Oh, I understand, that will give you unlimited messaging for the same monthly rate" when I made the switch. Surprised?
Old 11-14-2006, 12:48 AM   #8
TheBigNewt

Model: 8900
Carrier: Tmobile

Question about all this: I have an employee that's interested in 2 phones, with shared minutes (family plan?) unlimited email/data for both, and not that much txt. Can they talk to each other unlimited anytime, not use minutes? What's their best deal?
Old 11-14-2006, 12:53 AM   #9
ecirtap00

See...now I thought I was the only person who almost GOT nailed. I called TMo while my Pearl was en route to my house to go over the Blackberry Minutes and Mail plan. I'd already looked at it online but wanted to call and make sure that I really would be getting unlimited text messaging AND unlimited data (I am one of those ppl who doesn't go over 1000 minutes EVEN if you include the amount of unlimited minutes used!). The guy was really nice and told me yes I was correct & blahBlahBlah.

So. I get my Pearl and immediately call so that I can get my new plan. I went through my whole spiel (twice) of not using a lot of minutes...this plan would save me a bundle because I text alot and only used TZones to check my email. She agree. And then she stuck the 19.99 DATA add-on to me. Keep in mind I went thru the spiel twice (yes, I was excited; my first BlackBerry) and mentioned the unlimited text messaging thing. The ONLY reason I caught it before I got off the phone is because I asked the rep to go thru all the changes she made to my account. I asked her why she didn't take of text messaging. She said something to the effect of "...well ma'am, you will need it. I only took off the TZones because email blahBlahblah." I start going into specifics about the unlimited plan for $59.99 & 1000 minutes and she FINALLY realized what plan I was talking abou. Had I kept the plan + the add-on: 59.99 plan w/ 1500 minutes, 5.99 Tzones, 14.99 unlimited text vs 59.99 Minutes & Mail. And then she apologized 50-million times.

I said all that to say this: I have been with TMo for a while now and love the customer service. I really don't think they are doing it on purpose (I really hope they aren't)...I guess they automatically assume that ppl just want to add on the data and keep their current promo. Or it could be the the reps are just misinformed/aren't learning the plans *shrugs*

Hope everything goes well for ya!
Old 11-14-2006, 01:01 AM   #10
heavenlypennies

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBigNewt
Question about all this: I have an employee that's interested in 2 phones, with shared minutes (family plan?) unlimited email/data for both, and not that much txt. Can they talk to each other unlimited anytime, not use minutes? What's their best deal?
I've got a family plan w/three lines. Only I have a BB... others get texts nominally so we just suck up 10 cents each text since only 1 or 2 a month...

Basically, I have 1000 anytime minutes (free night and weekend) shared between all of us, we all get unlimited mobile to mobile... pay 9.99 for extra line and only I have BB internet so I get a 19.99 each month.

*Note I actually get like 1500 minutes because 99% of my minutes are to my Nana checking up on her - she doesn't like using the cell, so I have her minutes CONDITIONALLY set to forward to her LAN line phone (unconditional is where I got screwed before). You get 500 conditional call forward minutes w/ some fam plans (check on it) before they start taking out of 1000 anytime minutes... so I call her mobile weekdays, and her Lan # on weekends so I get free minutes then and the forwarding on weekdays... Then when 500 minutes are up, you can still forward, but then min get taken out of 1000 minutes.

Ok, this is a bit complicated for most, but you can get unlimited mobile to mobile on family plan. I just put my plan in to help anyone out there who might be on the edge, a way to get 500 more minutes...

Good Luck to ALL!
Old 11-14-2006, 01:02 AM   #11
PaulQ

Quote:
Originally Posted by ecirtap00
I said all that to say this: I have been with TMo for a while now and love the customer service. I really don't think they are doing it on purpose (I really hope they aren't)...I guess they automatically assume that ppl just want to add on the data and keep their current promo. Or it could be the the reps are just misinformed/aren't learning the plans *shrugs*

We should start a support group.

Unfortunately, I can't give Tmo THAT much credit. I think they are allowing it to happen. I don't think they do it on purpose but I think they let it happen because it clearly makes them some extra money. It's like they are saying, as they throw their hands up in surrender, "Well, if that's the plan you want, that's what I'll sign you up for. <snicker>"

But, their plans are still the cheapest compared to the other guys... and they have the Pearl!
Old 11-14-2006, 01:15 AM   #12
mrsmokey
Thumbs Must Hurt

Carrier: TMobile

I wanted to get the Minutes & Mail plan with 1000 mintutes, to get the unlimited text messages...all in all it was gonna save me a few dollars, but they told me I couldn't add Mobile To Mobile with the M&M Plan...I think they were B/Sing me so I wouldn't save a few bucks :(
Old 11-14-2006, 03:31 AM   #13
SanFrancisco

Model: 9700
PIN: HEAD
Carrier: T-Mobile

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBigNewt
Here is my T-Mo Family Plan, we have two Pearls on it. With TWO data plans, one for each phone, taxes and other fees, I think the bill is about $148 per month.

Has all that your employee seeks:

Last edited by SanFrancisco; 11-14-2006 at 03:46 AM..
Old 11-14-2006, 03:56 AM   #14
Galvatron
No longer Registered.

Model: 8800
PIN: 240582A8
Carrier: tmobile

Quote:
Originally Posted by ecirtap00
See...now I thought I was the only person who almost GOT nailed. I called TMo while my Pearl was en route to my house to go over the Blackberry Minutes and Mail plan. I'd already looked at it online but wanted to call and make sure that I really would be getting unlimited text messaging AND unlimited data (I am one of those ppl who doesn't go over 1000 minutes EVEN if you include the amount of unlimited minutes used!). The guy was really nice and told me yes I was correct & blahBlahBlah.

So. I get my Pearl and immediately call so that I can get my new plan. I went through my whole spiel (twice) of not using a lot of minutes...this plan would save me a bundle because I text alot and only used TZones to check my email. She agree. And then she stuck the 19.99 DATA add-on to me. Keep in mind I went thru the spiel twice (yes, I was excited; my first BlackBerry) and mentioned the unlimited text messaging thing. The ONLY reason I caught it before I got off the phone is because I asked the rep to go thru all the changes she made to my account. I asked her why she didn't take of text messaging. She said something to the effect of "...well ma'am, you will need it. I only took off the TZones because email blahBlahblah." I start going into specifics about the unlimited plan for $59.99 & 1000 minutes and she FINALLY realized what plan I was talking abou. Had I kept the plan + the add-on: 59.99 plan w/ 1500 minutes, 5.99 Tzones, 14.99 unlimited text vs 59.99 Minutes & Mail. And then she apologized 50-million times.

Well paulQ. It sounds to me lik the rep who set you up might have tried to fatten up her commision check at your expense. Were did you get your perl at? Did you get it at a corprate Tmoble store OR did you get it at a "Authorized Dealer" authorized dealers ar 3rd parties Arizona examples include the mobile solution wireless4U. Bullsye wirless 2Bwirless. If you want to discuss this matter locally Email mae As I too live in AZ
Old 11-14-2006, 08:51 AM   #15
pdutta2000
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9530

This thread seems to be my life story. I've had the pleasure of working with every major provider. Sprint, Nextel (before the merge with Sprint), AT&T Wireless (Before the merge with Cingular), Cingular, T-Mobile and Verizon have all screwed up my rate plans. Not one of them managed to get my plan right and it is now protocol for me to call up customer service a day or two after I sign up to make sure I am actually on the right plan. Not sure why it is so hard.
Old 11-14-2006, 09:13 AM   #16
krad
No longer Registered.

Model: 0000
Thumbs down I Tooooo Just Got Screwed By Tmobile!!!!!!

Background----

I had one verizon wireless phone/account (personal i pay for).
I have one tmobile blackberry phone/account (work pays for).

For the last 2 years i have been forwarding my verizon wireless phone to my tmobile phone. My charges were 0 minutes a month, the mininmum payment!!!

I decided to switch to tmobile, I like the service and tmobile worked better in some places, especially over seas.....

WHAT HAPPENED!!!!-----

I first called up tmobile to inquire about their service and if i could forward my new account to my work account. They said no problem (over the phone).

I bought the pearl, and asked the rep in the store if i could forward, he said sure, let me help you with it. He also told me i wouldn't be charged and it should be free.

Last week it was a month and half, and I still didn't recieve the bill, so i signed up online, and to my dismay i saw a bill for 90$. I have the 29.99 service which is the cheapest, and cheaper then verizon.

I noticed on the bill that every number forwarded to my work number was counted towards my anytime minutes!!!!!

I then noticed that their were 500 conditional forwarded minutes.... I called up right away and they told me there is nothing they can do. I told them i had asked 3 people before them if i would get charged and all three said no. Now i get this charge.... they told me i have no proof! i said i am a new customer and this is how you treat me!... i want to cancel this second, they said since it has been past 30 days, i have to pay the cancellation fee of 175$... I was flipping mad!

First they lied to me three times....
instead of helping me they gave me the shaft....

I asked for a manager, and they said they would call me back within 24 hours....

I hung up, and called right back and explained the situation again to a different rep, i was very nice, and to start off gave me 100 bonus mintues... i told her it didn't matter i don't use the number...

She said she would see if she could get the overage charges taken away, she would call me back........

She then told me that there is a way for me to forward and walked me through how to do it so it wouldn't charge my anytime minutes and use the forwarded 500 minutes...

She called me the next day and let me know they took the charges off.

I waited a day, to see that i was still racking up minutes forwarding, so i call up again!!!!!

the rep told me there is no way to forward from a tmobile to tmobile phone, it will always charge you whenever minutes.... i demanded the writing, she said it isn't written anywhere....

I have now disabled forwarding, i have left a voicemail message on my personal phone for people to call my work phone.

i hate tmobile....

4 different reps tell me i can, and then i really can't..... I should have stuck with verizon where i didn't deal with this crap.

I too am writing a letter to tmobile and to the attorney general.

There needs to be in clear writing documentation for people to know what they can and cannot do.

I hate you tmobile!!!!!
Old 11-14-2006, 09:27 AM   #17
renatoreyes

One thing that I learned from my ex girlfriend is to start yelling at the customer representative @ tmobile and they will directly send you to a superviser that will deal with your complaints. They have the power to change your bill when they are wrong and you sound very convinced that you are not at fault
Old 11-14-2006, 09:32 AM   #18
red_octane_aero
Thumbs Must Hurt

Lucky for me I got the unlimited SMS/MMS during the promo for $9.99 for ALL of my lines in my family plan. So now I have the BB plan...using with my regular shared family minutes with unlimited SMS/MMS.

I called T-Mo to make sure it was still on there after I added my data plan.
Old 11-14-2006, 09:54 AM   #19
krad
No longer Registered.

Model: 0000

Quote:
Originally Posted by red_octane_aero
Lucky for me I got the unlimited SMS/MMS during the promo for $9.99 for ALL of my lines in my family plan. So now I have the BB plan...using with my regular shared family minutes with unlimited SMS/MMS.

I called T-Mo to make sure it was still on there after I added my data plan.
call another 3 times.... then see your bill that it was taken off.....
Old 11-14-2006, 09:56 AM   #20
coreyg510
BBF Veteran

Model: 8700c
Carrier: Cingular

Moved to rants and raves forum.

This does not belong in the 8100 forum