BlackBerry Forums Support Community

Closed Thread

Old 03-27-2008, 09:48 PM   #1
Hilroyy

Model: 8300r
PIN: N/A
Carrier: Fido
Default Micro SD card encryption, can someone tell me how to do this.

Please Login to Remove!

I have BB 8300, I thought I could setup my Micro SD card to encrypt the files I put on it. I have gone into options/media card and setup

Media Card Support: on
Encrypton mode: Security password and device
Encrypt media files: on
mass storage mode support: on
auto enable mass storage mode when connected: yes

I have these settings on but when I shut down my BB and take out the micro sd card and put it into another computer my files are visable. Should I not be able to encrypt the files so if someone takes out the sd micro card they cant view the files.

If anyone can point me to a link to set this up properly it would be appreciated.

Thanks

Roy
Old 03-27-2008, 09:52 PM   #2
hdawg
BlackBerry Genius

Model: hdawg
PIN: port3101.org
Carrier: hdawg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hilroyy View Post
I have BB 8300, I thought I could setup my Micro SD card to encrypt the files I put on it. I have gone into options/media card and setup

Media Card Support: on
Encrypton mode: Security password and device
Encrypt media files: on
mass storage mode support: on
auto enable mass storage mode when connected: yes

I have these settings on but when I shut down my BB and take out the micro sd card and put it into another computer my files are visable. Should I not be able to encrypt the files so if someone takes out the sd micro card they cant view the files.

If anyone can point me to a link to set this up properly it would be appreciated.

Thanks

Roy
Have you added any files since you enabled encryption? Pre-existing files won't get encrypted.
Old 03-27-2008, 09:57 PM   #3
Hilroyy

Yes I have added files. I first formated the drive card then hooked it up and used media manager to add a few pictures.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hdawg View Post
Have you added any files since you enabled encryption? Pre-existing files won't get encrypted.
Old 03-30-2008, 02:59 PM   #4
Trebor49

Model: 8830
Carrier: Bell Mobility

I have the same problem with an 8830. All files, pre or post encryption, are visible if you simply remove the micro SD card and read it on any PC using an SD USB reader adapter, with no password whatever. Pretty useless as security since anyone who can figure out how to get your media card out can read all your files easily without knowing the password to your BB. I would be grateful to know if there is any software that can effectively encrypt the media card.
Old 03-30-2008, 03:27 PM   #5
DavidRGallagher

Model: 8310
Carrier: AT&T

What version of desktop manager are you using? It looks like only 4.2.1 supports encrypting / decrypting on the fly while Roxio Media Manager (Desktop Manager v4.3) does not.

BlackBerry Search Results
<snip>
Only the the Media Manager for BlackBerry® Desktop Manager 4.2.1 will read encrypted files. Roxio® Media Manager for BlackBerry® smartphones uses USB Mass Storage and currently does not support encrypted media cards.
<snip>

Try taking pictures with the phone, saving to the card and then connecting to the computer to show the files. They should have a .jpg.rem extension to show they are encrypted. If you copy these to your computer via windows explorer, you will not be able to open them. However, if you copy them using desktop manager 4.2.1 they will decrypt and you will be able to open them

-DG

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hilroyy View Post
Yes I have added files. I first formated the drive card then hooked it up and used media manager to add a few pictures.
Old 03-30-2008, 11:22 PM   #6
Hilroyy

Yes I have confirmed this, reverting back to Desktop 4.2.1 does allow you to move files from your computer to your Blackberry and have them encrypeted.

Thanks for the tip, don't know why they added Roxio without making sure this could at least be an option.

Roy

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidRGallagher View Post
What version of desktop manager are you using? It looks like only 4.2.1 supports encrypting / decrypting on the fly while Roxio Media Manager (Desktop Manager v4.3) does not.

BlackBerry Search Results
<snip>
Only the the Media Manager for BlackBerry® Desktop Manager 4.2.1 will read encrypted files. Roxio® Media Manager for BlackBerry® smartphones uses USB Mass Storage and currently does not support encrypted media cards.
<snip>

Try taking pictures with the phone, saving to the card and then connecting to the computer to show the files. They should have a .jpg.rem extension to show they are encrypted. If you copy these to your computer via windows explorer, you will not be able to open them. However, if you copy them using desktop manager 4.2.1 they will decrypt and you will be able to open them

-DG
Old 05-29-2008, 10:23 AM   #7
Cricri
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 8800
Carrier: T-Mobile UK

Is there another way to prevent unauthorised access to a SD card? Folder lock, password protection? Encryption is great but moving back to an old version of Dm is not ideal.

Thank you for your advice.
Old 01-02-2009, 02:52 PM   #8
lwhiteside

Model: 8310
Carrier: AT&T
Default Truecrypt

TRuecrypt seems to be the best way to do this. Users in my enterprise are beginning to ask for SD card use and I have finally began looking into the issue. Truecrypt seems to be the best solution on an individual basis though I still have not found a free/cheap enterprise mechanism.

L
Closed Thread