BlackBerry Forums Support Community

Closed Thread

Old 09-22-2006, 06:33 PM   #1
BES admin
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: Droid
Carrier: Android -> AT&T
Question 2.5mm (male)-> 3.5mm (Female) 8100?

Please Login to Remove!

8100 Adapters here in one thread. Add your comments on adapters you have tried successfully or unsuccessfully.

I will maintain a list of adapters and links to them as people post working adapters.

This thread is for people who have headphones and are only looking for an adapter to use with their stereo headsets or speakers.

If you have an 8100 and you have used an adapter and found that it works with stereo headphones with 3.5mm jacks, please post the information here.

Brand: Model: Cost: Link: Experience:

LIST OF Confirmed adapters which work:

1. Adapter with Mic. -$15.95

2. Made specifically for the 8100 with mic. - $34.95

3. Adapter only (no MIC) - $8.95

Thanks in advance.

Last edited by BES admin; 10-18-2006 at 07:55 PM..
Old 09-22-2006, 07:13 PM   #2
nickbee

Model: 8100
Carrier: t-Mobile

Check out this post,, I also tried the R Shack adp with no luck...

http://www.blackberryforums.com/bbf-...bb-8100-a.html
Old 09-22-2006, 07:38 PM   #3
BES admin

Thanks Nick,

So this one works...

AUDIO ADAPTOR WITH BUILT-IN MICROPHONE AND ANSWER BUTTON (2.5MM MALE JACK TO 3.5MM FEMALE JACK) - ADA3-XDA325M35FC

This adapter worked like a champ. The Microphone is very good, picked up my voice from a distance as my BB was sitting in front of me on my desk while I worked.

Any others?

Last edited by BES admin; 09-23-2006 at 07:31 AM..
Old 09-28-2006, 09:44 PM   #4
BES admin

Bump...

Anyone else get a converter that works?

I'd like at least two to compare.

Thanks.
Old 09-28-2006, 09:50 PM   #5
ImagineParadise
Thumbs Must Hurt

so that adapter has a mic in it? So I can attach my noise canceling headphones and answer the phone while its still pluged into the adapter?
Old 09-30-2006, 12:30 AM   #6
BES admin

I ended up getting the adaptor mentioned above. It works great! BUT... (see post #22 below)

Anyone who gets another adapter which works I would still be interested in hearing about it.

Thanks

Last edited by BES admin; 10-02-2006 at 09:05 PM..
Old 09-30-2006, 03:34 AM   #7
BlissX
Thumbs Must Hurt

Carrier: T

I really prefer finding an adaptor that does not have the voice/mic built in. I'll be using my phone as a replacement to my MP3 for gym uses. But that dongle is just one big barrier to me.

eBay "Stereo" adaptor failed on me.
A weird thing, I used my friends included stereo headset with his T-Mob MDA, and THAT thing didn't work (mono). It has the mic built in, so I dunno what the hell is going on.
Old 09-30-2006, 08:21 AM   #8
ImagineParadise
Thumbs Must Hurt

so BES, does that adapter have mono or stereo sound for headphones. If it has sterio, I dont see a problem with the mic being built into the unit. It's just inline with the adapter, I dont see why thats a problem.
Old 09-30-2006, 10:20 AM   #9
ChumsGum
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8900
Carrier: TMobile

the site above also sells stereo headphones for about $50.
Old 09-30-2006, 12:15 PM   #10
BES admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChumsGum
the site above also sells stereo headphones for about $50.
Yes it does, however, some people who have high-end headphones with a 3.5mm jack, like myself, want to use them and therefore need a converter which works with the 8100.

The one above is nice because I can connect the 8100 to my truck's stereo system and listen to Voicemail and Email on the way to work.

I also use the converter when I am in the garage. I connect the blackberry to the speakers in my garage and listen to music.

A converter allows a myriad of uses for the BB 8100.
Old 09-30-2006, 01:49 PM   #11
odnerd
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8320
Carrier: Tmobile

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlissX

eBay "Stereo" adaptor failed on me.
A weird thing, I used my friends included stereo headset with his T-Mob MDA, and THAT thing didn't work (mono). It has the mic built in, so I dunno what the hell is going on.
What do you mean by failed? I just got one from eBay and sound doesn't even come through it... Not even mono.
Old 09-30-2006, 08:46 PM   #12
BlissX
Thumbs Must Hurt

Carrier: T

Quote:
Originally Posted by odnerd
What do you mean by failed? I just got one from eBay and sound doesn't even come through it... Not even mono.
It worked only as a mono, BUT... if you play an music file and then plug it in, it won't recognize and sound will continue through the speaker. If I stop the song, not pause, and connect the adaptor then play, it'll play only in one earbud.

It was marketed as a stereo adapter, and I'm sure it is, but I guess the 8100 has some issues.
Old 10-01-2006, 06:11 PM   #13
pbbjr
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 9700
Default Listening to email?

Quote:
Originally Posted by BES admin
Yes it does, however, some people who have high-end headphones with a 3.5mm jack, like myself, want to use them and therefore need a converter which works with the 8100.

The one above is nice because I can connect the 8100 to my truck's stereo system and listen to Voicemail and Email on the way to work.

I also use the converter when I am in the garage. I connect the blackberry to the speakers in my garage and listen to music.

A converter allows a myriad of uses for the BB 8100.
How do you listen to email on the 8100?
Old 10-01-2006, 08:31 PM   #14
BES admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by pbbjr
How do you listen to email on the 8100?
Sorry... I didn't mean to imply that the Blackberry has this capability as an email device... it's an advantage of having CISCO Unified messaging at my job.

When I call into my Voicemail/Email Box, It plays voice messages and then reads me my email. It would do this from a land-line or any other cell phone.

It's not a Blackberry feature.
Old 10-01-2006, 11:55 PM   #15
SanFrancisco
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

PIN: HEAD
Carrier: T-Mobile

Quote:
Originally Posted by odnerd
I think he meant that a search on eBay did not result in any items. I too searched eBay for such an adapter and did not find one.

All eBay had was the regular step down adapter, which will NOT work on the 8100 because the jack has the additional microphone and cell phone functions coming out of it.
Old 10-02-2006, 09:17 AM   #16
BES admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by SanFrancisco
I too searched eBay for such an adapter and did not find one.

All eBay had was the regular step down adapter, which will NOT work on the 8100 because the jack has the additional microphone and cell phone functions coming out of it.
I think there are many people in this boat, which is the biggest reason for starting this thread.

I'm just surprised nobody has gotten an adapter yet, other than the ONE posted above, and found that it works with stereo headphones.
Old 10-02-2006, 10:37 AM   #17
scudsone

they have them at partsexpress.com
also sold through amazon
Old 10-02-2006, 10:50 AM   #18
SanFrancisco
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

PIN: HEAD
Carrier: T-Mobile

Quote:
Originally Posted by BES admin
I think there are many people in this boat, which is the biggest reason for starting this thread.

I'm just surprised nobody has gotten an adapter yet, other than the ONE posted above, and found that it works with stereo headphones.
Well, seeing how the phone just came out on Sept. 12, IMHO people started that day questioning how to use headphones.

On PinStack, where I am also a member, on day one we were talking about where to get an adapter and we all went through the "Radio Shack adapter does not work phase."

There was one guy who reported that for $15 he found one at Best Buy. He made clear that it was an adapter that fit into the 8100 and allowed him to play MP3 with regular headphones. I was going to buy one, but got distracted so I did not make it out there.

I ended up buying one from that site recommended in here.

While I want to use the phone as an MP3 player at the gym, for now I'll continue to use one of my 10 MP3 players I have. I also plan to order the headset/headphone combo from RIM, but I suspect that that setup will not work as well as my Sony high end headphones [have three sets of those].

Bottom line, I think people were pretty fast on discussing using the 8100 with their existing stereo headphones. What surprised me was that Radio Shack did not have the proper adapter to do this.
Old 10-02-2006, 10:59 AM   #19
BES admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by scudsone
they have them at partsexpress.com
also sold through amazon
Model Info and link?
Old 10-02-2006, 03:54 PM   #20
odnerd
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8320

Quote:
Originally Posted by SanFrancisco
I think he meant that a search on eBay did not result in any items. I too searched eBay for such an adapter and did not find one.

No, he answered my question. I wanted to know if his "failed"(didn't work) like mine doesn't. I get no sound at all thorough it...

Also, the adapters for the ROKR should work for it which are all over ebay. Try searching "ROKR 3.5"
Closed Thread